Executive Compensation at the National Opinion Research Center
The National Opinion Research Center (NORC) at the University of Chicago is an objective non-partisan institution conducting research to produce data in the fields of social science and public opinion. This data helps guide critical program, business, and policy decisions.
A tax-exempt, non-profit 501 (c) 3, NORC was established in 1941 in Chicago, Illinois and prides itself on “research you can trust.” In their own words:
NORC has shaped the questions, gathered and analyzed the data, and derived the insights that have allowed governments, nonprofit organizations, businesses, and citizens around the world to make more in-formed public and personal decisions about issues ranging from health care and education to economic development and the workforce.
There are 16 voting members of the governing body, 8 of whom are independent, although the Form 990 lists 18 trustees (due to timing differences). 12 of the 18 (67%) trustees listed are male while 6 of the 8 (33%) are female.
In 2018, NORC reported total revenue of $196 million of which 80% ($157 million) came from the government in the form of grants. Expenses totaled $188 million, of which $105 million (54% of revenue) was used to compensate 3,824 employees. 307 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 22 most highly compensated employees reported to be:
- $1,116,587: Daniel Diermeier, Trustee*
- $1,115,860: Robert Gertner, Trustee*
- $ 935,753: Kerwin Charles, Chair and Trustee (as of 11/18)
- $ 903,550: Harry L Davis, Trustee*
- $ 771,683: Daniel Gaylin, President
- $ 601,562: David Nirenberg, Trustee*
- $ 543,659: Michele Nachbar, EVP, Secretary
- $ 521,180: James E Dunne, CFO, EVP, Treasurer
- $ 511,129: Ron Jurek, CIO/EVP
- $ 499,870: Kirk Wolter, EVP
- $ 455,621: Amanda Woodward, Trustee (as of 7/18)*
- $ 443,934: Michael Davern, EVP
- $ 440,800: Mark Hansen, Trustee*
- $ 437,192: Chet Bowie, EVP
- $ 436,562: Jeffrey Telgarsky, EVP
- $ 398,867: John Dennis, SVP
- $ 375,812: Kennon Copeland, SVP
- $ 362,981: Diane Lauderdale, Trustee*
- $ 353,937: John Kalb, SVP
- $ 346,697: Angela Debello, SVP
- $ 332,863: Caitlin Oppenheimer, SVP
- $ 255,750: Edward O Laumann, Chair and Trustee (thru 11/18)*
A “*” indicates part or all of compensation was from a related organization which appears to be the University of Chicago.
17 of the 22 (77%) most highly compensated employees are male while 5 of the 22 (23%) are female.
NORC paid for health or social club dues or initiation fees. Specifically, Daniel Gaylin receives an expense reimbursement for The Quadrangle Club, The University Club, The Economics Club, and The Commercial Club social dues.
50 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation. The five (5) most highly compensated independent contractors were reported to be:
- $2,378,162: Press America, Inc., of Elk Grove Village, IL for printing/mail out
- $1,098,661: ATT, of Aurora, IL for telecom
- $ 919,933: Verizon, of Philadelphia, PA for telecom
- $ 825,687: Ricoh USA, Inc., of Lisle, IL for facility services
- $ 705,531: CDW Government Inc., Vernon Hills, IL for info technology
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018), click here.