Executive Compensation at Consumer Reports (2020)
Consumer Reports, the beloved watchdog organization that many people rely on in for unbiased consumer product information is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501 (c) (3) organization based in Yonkers, New York.
In 2020, the organization reported total revenue of $250 million (compared to $255 million in 2019), most of which came from subscriptions (both print and on-line).
Expenses totaled $220 million (not including $15 million in depreciation) with the largest expense compensation ($96 million) for the 673 employees, who received an average compensation of $143,000. However, only 360 employees (about half of the employees) received more than $100,000 in compensation.
The 15 most highly compensated employees in 2020 were reported to be:
- $818,734: Marta L Tellado, President and CEO
- $533,415: Leonora Weiter, SVP and COO
- $482,342 Jason Fox, VP, Chief Digital officer
- $454,269: Liam McCormack, VP, Res, Testing, and Insights
- $450,096: Eric Wayne, VP and CFO
- $448,726: Michael Hubner, VP, General Counsel
- $434,584: Gwendolyn Bounds, VP, Chief Content Officer
- $409,831: Mathew Anchin, VP, Chief Communications Officer
- $394,225: Esther Han, VP, Chief Intelligence Officer
- $378,741: Shar Taylor, VP Chief Social Impact Officer
- $376,851: Peter Direnzo, Chief Technology Officer
- $367,980: Geoffrey MacDougall, VP Development (thru 8/29/20)
- $361,790: Lisa Cribari, VP, Chief HR Officer
- $340,948: Brent Diamond, Former VP, Con Data Mkt Op (thru 1/4/19)
- $312,457: Kimberly Stehle, Former VP, Chief Mkt Officer (thru 5/3/19)
The 15 most highly compensated employees received $6.5 million. If these employees were excluded from total compensation, then 658 employees received about $90 million which equates to an average compensation of $137,000 (not much different than if all employees were included) which appears to mean the employees of Consumer Reports are well compensated.
8 of the 15 most highly compensated employees are male while 7 are female. The most highly compensated employee, the President and CEO is a female who received the following compensation over the past 5 years:
- 2020: $818,734
- 2019: $700,541
- 2018: $713,058
- 2017: $651,929
- 2016: $621,172
103 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation. The five most highly independent contractors were:
- $9.1 million: Google, Inc, of Mountain View, CA for search engine marketing
- $5.9 million: Quad Graphics, of Sussex, WI for printing
- $4.9 million: EPAM Systems, of Newton, PA for information technology
- $4.3 million: Diamond Communications, of Council Bluffs, Iowa for fulfillment
- $4.3 millon: Telerx Marketing, of Horhsam, PA for marketing
To read the IRS Form 990 (2019 for the year ending May 31, 2020), click here.