Executive Compensation at the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) is a 501 (c) (3) based in Arlington, Virginia with about 255 employees who received total compensation of $19.2 million, which equates to an average of $75,000 each. 14 individuals received more than $100,000 in compensation with the most highly compensated 11 staff listed below:
- $347,968: Charles S Abbot, President and CEO
- $233,416: Carl Jensen, VP and COO
- $218,517: Willie L Williams, VP and CIO
- $216,345: Wesley H Schmidt, VP and CFO
- $183,202: Paul Belanger, FSO Director
- $173,787: Peter Collins, VP and CAO
- $171,170: Shelly Marshall, VP and CCO
- $171,109: Hazel Weathersby, Director, Financial Services
- $167,684: Jodi L Briggs, Sr Network Engineer
- $156,220: Beverly Moore, Director, Nursing Program
- $151,739: Barbara Sheffer, Director, Volunteer Support
As listed above, $2.2 million in compensation was provided to 11 individuals. 6 of the 11 individuals were men while 5 were women. However, the 6 most highly compensated individuals ($173,787 – $347,968) were men while the 5 lowest on the list were women who received total compensation of $151,739 – $171,170.
NMCRS purchases a whole life insurance policy for officers and pays the premiums as long as the officer remains in his or her position for five or more years. Because the premiums are a taxable benefit, the organization reimburses the employee for the tax due on the value of the benefit and grosses up the amount to cover the tax on the tax reimbursement.
Several directors have family relationships with employees:
- MCPO Steven Giordiano,USN and Mrs. Elka Franco-Giordiano
- SGT MAJ Ronald L Green,, USMC and Mrs. Andrea Green
- GEN Robert B Neller, USMC and Mrs. D’Arcy Neller
- ADM John M Richardson, USN and Mrs. Dana Richardson
- MCPO Michael Stevens, USN and Mrs. Theresa Stevens
To read the IRS Form 990, click here.