Executive Compensation at Boys Town
Boys Town refers to a non-profit, tax-exempt organization focused on helping children and their families but the “organization” is actually many non-profit, tax-exempt organizations with one member: Father Flanagans Boys Home (FFBH) who controls and provides oversight to all the affiliates.
Based in Boys Town, Nebraska, FFBH has two research hospitals (west and east) and 10 non-hospital health care facilities. However, FFBH has affiliate organizations that also provide services in Nebraska, Iowa, Louisiana, Nevada, Washington, DC, Florida, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, the Boys Town organizations reach across the US.
The controlling entity – FFBH – raises about $350 million annually, spends about $300 million annually and has about $1.3 billion in net assets.
In addressing compensation, FFBH (and only FFBH with no other compensation of the affiliated entities reported here) reported having 3,724 employees who received $178 million (51% of revenue) in compensation in 2018, which equates to an average compensation of $48,000. 238 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 15 most highly compensated employees reported to be:
- $1,048,906: Kelli Jo Shidler, Physician
- $ 616,217: Robert M Tempero, Physician
- $ 614,645: Jane M Emanuel, Physician
- $ 566,609: Mara P Paradis, Physician
- $ 566,008: Don-Kyoo Richard Kang, Physician
- $ 526,695: Edward M Kolb, EVP, Healthcare
- $ 453,821: John K Arch, EVP, Healthcare, Director of Boys Town National Research Hospital
- $ 422,092: Philip J Rudin, EVP, Investments, Chief Investments Officer
- $ 386,941: Judy F Rasmussen, EVP, Finance and Administration, Treasurer, and CFO
- $ 355,591: Robert R Pick, EVP, Director of Youth Care
- $ 307,732: Dana E Washington, SVP, General Counsel
- $ 274,916: Michael J Eglseder, VP, Investments, Assistant Treasurer
- $ 269,470: Steven E Boes, President and National Executive Director
- $ 200,859: Barbara J Vollmer, SVP, Gov’t Strategy, Corp Advancement, Secretary
- $ 152,168: James L Beckmann, Assistant Corporate Secretary
9 of the 15 (60%) most highly compensated employees are male while 6 of the 15 (40%) are female, including the most highly compensated employee, Kelli Jo Shidler. 6 of the 10 most highly compensated employees are male while 4 are female.
A discretionary spending allowance and a residence for personal use is provided to Steven Boes, the CEO an Executive Director.
Philip J Ruden participated in a supplemental non-qualified retirement plan, in the amount of $14,039 which was not included in taxable compensation.
Philip J Ruden and Michael J Eglseder have a business relationship.
53 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation. The five most highly compensated independent contractors were reported to be:
- $1,347,332: Innovative Urology Services, of Omaha, NE for fluoroscopy and Lithotripsy
- $1,169,064: UNM Physicians, of Omaha, NE for pathology
- $ 822,853: Enovy, Inc., of Omaha, NE for advertising and marketing
- $ 681,738: Kahn Consulting, of Highland Park, IL for record and information consulting
- $ 500,126: KPMG, LLC, of Omaha, NE for accounting services
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018), click here.