Chicken Pasta Soup
Chicken pasta soup is a family favorite in our home – everyone loves this soup. Simple to make and great tasting, the ingredients can easily be varied based on preferences. My recipe below is heavy on the vegetables (especially the carrots), seasoning (parsley), and pasta but light on the chicken so if your preference is for more chicken, increase the amount.
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
6 stalks celery, chopped 1/4 inch thick
6 carrots, chopped diagonally 1/4 inch thick
8-12 ounces of Scalfani Little Hats 300 Pasta or the pasta of your choice, cooked
16 cups of water
2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
1 teaspoon thyme
3 tablespoons fresh straight leaf parsley, chopped
2 large chicken breasts, bone in
- In a large frying pan, pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat to medium. Place chicken breasts in the pan and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cover with aluminum foil and slowly cook until the chicken breasts are cooked through, turning after 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts and allow to cool on a paper towel.
- Cut the chicken from the bone and shred into small pieces with a fork. Set aside.
- In an 8 quart stockpot, pour 3 tablespoons of olive oil and heat to medium. Add onions, carrots, and celery and reduce heat to medium-low so the vegetables cook but don’t brown. Stir occasionally until the vegetables are slightly tender. – about 15 minutes.
- Add the thyme and stir to blend.
- Add 16 cups of water and the bouillon to the stockpot of vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and pasta and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.