Pumpkin Oat Walnut Muffins
Pumpkin is often associated with the Autumn leaves and Thanksgiving but there is no reason we shouldn’t enjoy this tasty and nutritious fruit (yes, pumpkin is a fruit and part of the squash family) all year-round. Shelf-stable puree pumpkin is available in cans and boxes in most supermarkets so keep a few in the pantry to make these moist, delicious, dairy and gluten-free muffins any time of the year.
With no refined sugar, these muffins rely on unsweetened apple sauce and pure maple syrup for sweetness. The foundation of the muffin is oat flour and pumpkin, two flavors that complement each other. The baking soda, baking powder, and apple cider vinegar all work together to make these muffins rise so bake immediately because as soon as the wet ingredients touch the dry ingredients, they start to work their magic.
Pumpkin Oat Walnut Muffins (makes 12 large muffins)
- 16 ounce organic pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened smooth applesauce (if using chunky, whirl in the food processor for a few seconds)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk or any non-dairy unsweetened milk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 18 raw walnut halves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a non-stick 12 muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, applesauce, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, blend the oat flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir just until blended. Don’t over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan filling to the very top (these muffins rise up and not out).
- Sprinkle the walnuts over the top of each muffin.
- Do not open the oven door (for 30 minutes) or the muffins could fall. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
- Store cooled muffins in an air-tight container and eat within 3 days.