Executive Compensation at Goodwill (2018)
Goodwill Industries was established in 1902 and is widely known across the country as the place where people donate clothing and household goods to help others.
There are 157 Goodwill Industries agencies (community-based and autonomous) and more than 3,300 retail stores in the US and 12 other countries that generate about $5 billion in revenue annually. Goodwill Industries International, Inc (Goodwill) is the executive member association organization that provides oversight, support, expertise, grants, and products to local agencies (each is a separate 501 (c) (3)) that operates independently but who collectively pay membership dues (revenue) to support Goodwill.
In 2018, Goodwill reported $58 million in revenue which derived primarily from four sources:
- $21 million (36% of revenue): membership dues
- $27 million (46% of revenue): government grants
- $ 8 million (13% of revenue): contributions
- $ 2 million (4% of revenue): conferences/seminars and program services
Goodwill used $18 million (31% of revenue) to compensate 155 employees which equates to an average of $116,000 per employee. 40 received more than $100,000 in compensation with $3.2 million provided to the following 10 employees:
- $987,624: James Gibbons, CEO (thru 8/18)
- $319,327: Jeffrey W McCaw, CFO
- $315,142: Kimberly Zimmer, CMO and SVP Global Development
- $274,813: Wendi Copeland, SVP Strategy and Advancement
- $256,951: Judith Branzelle, Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel
- $230,884: Paul Downes, VP & IT Data Analytics Initiative
- $228,928: Andrea Affeltranger, VP and Chief of Staff
- $218,773: Deborah Betsch, VP Leadership and Learning
- $197,335: Lorna G Utley, Interim CEO (from 8/18)
- $196,927: Beth Perell, VP Member Relations
7 of the 10 most highly compensated employees are female while 3 are male. The most highly compensated employee was James Gibbons, the President and CEO who resigned 8 months into the year and was compensated nearly $1 million. An additional $200,000 was spent compensating an interim CEO (Lorna G Utley). if the total number of employees (155) and the total compensation to employees ($18 million) was adjusted to exclude the 10 most highly compensated employees who received $3.2 million, then 145 employees were compensated $14.8 million which equates to an average compensation of $102,000.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018) for Goodwill Industries International, click here.