Executive Compensation at Sentara Hospitals
Sentara Hospitals is part of the integrated healthcare system referred to as “Sentara Healthcare.” A non-profit, tax-exempt 501 (c) (3), Sentara Hospitals reports the financial and other information of seven hospitals in southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. (Note: Sentera Healthcare reports having 12 hospitals in 2020 which indicates some hospitals are separate related/affiliated organizations).
In 2018, Sentara Hospitals reported total revenue of nearly $2.5 billion, most of which came from patient services. Expenses totaled $2.2 billion (including $123 million in depreciation) with the four largest expenses being:
- $1.1 billion: Compensation
- $ 507 million: Medical Supplies
- $ 322 million: Office-Related Expenses
- $ 280 million: Fees for Services (primarily healthcare professionals)
15,085 employees received $1.1 billion in compensation which equates to an average compensation of $73,000. 1,099 employees received more than $100,000 with the most highly compensated employees reported to be:
- $5,750,022: Howard P Kern, Dir/Chair (comp from a related org)
- $1,994,201: Michael V Gentry, Dir/Pres (comp from a related org)
- $1,588,868: Robert A Broermann, Dir/Treas (comp from a related org)
- $1,178,618: Mary L Blunt, Corp VP
- $1,049,729: Teresa L Edwards, Corp VP
- $ 995,239: Michael J Reagin, SVP, Chief Info and Innov Officer
- $ 881,653: Kurt T Hofelich, VP Ambulatory Services
- $ 816,512: Jeffrey P King, Secretary (comp from a related org)
- $ 732,710: Genemarie W McGee, CNO
- $ 668,780: J Stephen Julian Jr, President SOH
- $ 664,039: Thomas Klevan, Med Dir, Cardiac SVC Line
- $ 568,451: Elwood P Boone III, Pres SVBGH
- $ 561,163: Carolyn C Carpenter, VP and COO, SNGH
- $ 543,454: Thomas Thames, Former T5 (comp from a related org)
- $ 528,539: Paul D Chidester, VP Medical Affairs
- $ 495,445: Joel T Bundy, VP Medical Affairs
- $ 486,755: David N Mohr, VP Clinical Info/Transf
- $ 433,033: Joanne M Inman, President SLH
- $ 386,438: Bertram Reese, Former Key Employee
- $ 358,303: Grace Myers, Former Key Employee
- $ 327,218: Robert C Firestone, VP Operations, SNGH
- $ 206,378: Samuel J Hawley, Former Officer (comp from a related org)
16 of the 22 (73%) most highly compensated employees are male while 6 of the 22 (27%) are female.
313 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation. The five most highly compensated were reported to be:
- $53,678,467: Whiting Turner Contracting Co, of Baltimore, MD for construction
- $26,652,065: Eastern Virginia Medical School, of Norfolk, VA for medical professional services
- $15,489,647: Hourigan Construction Corp, of Virginia Beach, VA for construction
- $10,560, 225: Aramark Healthcare Technologies, of Chicago, IL for medical technologies and services
- $ 8,691,285: Morrison Management Specialists, of Mobile, AL for food and facilities management
Finally, it is worth noting, Sentara Hospitals had $1.4 billion in net assets at year-end 2018.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018) for Sentara Hospitals, click here.
Comments are closed.