Executive Compensation at the United Jewish Appeal (UJA) Federation of NY (2021)
The United Jewish Appeal Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of NY, Inc is also known as the UJA Federation of NY.
Based in New York City, the UJA Federation of NY has historically been focused on raising funds and using those funds to make grants (61% of revenue in 2019, 68% of revenue in 2020, and 54% of revenue in 2021) – primarily to domestic Jewish organizations including $50 million to the Jewish Federations of North America in 2021 – and strengthen their balance sheet by allotting millions annually to the general fund (they reported having $1.5 billion in net assets by the end of 2021).
In 2021, the UJA Federation of NY used 54% of revenue ($181 million) for grants, 23% of revenue ($78 million) to pay for organization expenses, and allocated 23% of revenue ($75 million) to the general fund.
The largest organization expense is compensation: 455 employees received $48 million in compensation which equate to an average compensation of $105,000.
130 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 13 most highly compensated reported to be:
- $1,892,571: Eric S Goldstein, CEO
- $ 887,126: Devana Cohen, CIO
- $ 713,546: Mark Medin, EVP, FRD
- $ 688,923: Ellen R Zimmerman, Secretary, General Counsel, CCO
- $ 572,957: Irvin A Rosenthal, CFO
- $ 383,350: Graham Cannon, Chief Marketing Officer
- $ 376,638: Deborah Joselow, Chief Planning Officer
- $ 341,900: Stuart Tauber, VP, Regions
- $ 335,412: William Sammers, VP, Planned Giving and Endowments
- $ 315,766: Joanne Locascio, Controller
- $ 302,242: Marc Zuckerman, CIO
- $ 298,880: Louisa Chafee, SVP
- $ 274,085: Courtney Weinstein, VP, Affinity
7 of the 13 (54%) most highly compensated employees are male while 6 of the 13 (46%) are female.
The most highly compensated employee was the CEO, Eric S Goldstein who received $1.9 million in compensation in 2021.
53 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 5 most highly compensated reported to be:
- $4,750,903: SJS Construction Co, of Bay Shore, NY for construction
- $2,931,058: Victor Zucchi and Son, of Bogota, NJ for construction
- $1,247,886: Zaskorski & Assoc Architects, of NY, NY for architectural services
- $ 899,242: Zubatkin Owner Representation, of NY, NY for construction
- $ 785,348: International Security Associates, of NY, NY for security
To read the IRS Form 990 (2020 for the year ending June 30, 2021), click here.