Zucchini Noodles with Olive Oil, Pine Nuts and Basil
With summer fast approaching, zucchini will be overflowing in the garden and at the grocery store. My family doesn’t normally get too excited about sautéed zucchini because this green vegetable gets soggy very quickly. So, instead of slicing or dicing the zucchini, consider using a Turning Slicer (which is sometimes called a Spiralizer because it spirals the vegetable) to turn zucchini (and almost every other firm vegetable or fruit) into noodles in seconds. Light, refreshing and full of flavor – with the fresh basil and toasted pine nuts – Zucchini Noodles with Olive Oil, Pine Nuts and Basil is a summer salad that should delight even the most reluctant. We devour this salad by the bowl full in our home.
Zucchini Noodles with Olive Oil, Pine Nuts, and Basil a very easy and quick recipe that tastes delicious.Reminiscent of pasta and pesto, this dish is just as tasty but lighter. The essential tool is the Turning Slicer or Spiralizer. Available through www.amazon.com, the Paderno Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer costs about $21 (including delivery for Amazon Prime members) and is one of the best machines I’ve bought in years. The Paderno comes with three (3) blades: the shredder, the chipper, and the slicer. For this recipe, the shredder blade is used to turn zucchini into noodles. Each zucchini is changed into a pile of noodles in less than 30 seconds.
4 medium green zucchini 9-10 ounces each
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ounce (about 50 leaves) of fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts
- Wash and clean the zucchini.
- Insert the “shredder” blade into the Turning Slicer” and shred the zucchini into noodles. Each zucchini will take about 20-30 seconds to turn into noodles.
- Place the zucchini noodles into a large round 10 inch bowl. The bowl will be filled but after cooking, the zucchini noodles will only fill half of the bowl.
- Pour the 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a large skillet pan and heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add the zucchini noodles and toss continuously with a a pair of tongs for 2 minutes, but no more than 3 minutes (don’t be tempted to cook longer or your zucchini noodles will be soggy) making sure the top noodles get to the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the zucchini noodles to a large serving bowl. Add the chopped basil, toasted pine nuts, and a sprinkle of salt, if desired.
- Serve immediately. Makes 6-8 side servings.