Vegan Banana Bread
Banana Bread is one of those recipes that I turn to when the fruit bowl is full of spotted overripe bananas. Delicious with morning coffee, as an afternoon snack, or as a dessert, banana bread is usually made with oil, eggs, and dairy products which is what makes the bread taste so good. So, the challenge is how to make a satisfying banana bread without oil, eggs, and dairy based products. For inspiration, I turned to The Happy Herbivore whose recipe for banana bread is very good but I wanted a banana bread that was a bit less sweet and one that had a crunch that only nuts could provide.
My recipe for Vegan Banana Bread is a high rising, moist banana bread that is not too sweet with the added bonus of walnuts. Bananas and walnuts go so well together and their complementary nature is reflected perfectly in this easy recipe. Scrumptious and flavorful, this banana bread will become a family favorite.
1/2 cup of unsweetened soy milk
Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 very ripe bananas
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of raw sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup of broken walnuts, plus extra for top of bread, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl with a mixer, blend the ripe bananas with the sugars and vanilla until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy milk and lemon juice until frothy on the top (about 30 seconds).
- In a separate small mixing bowl, blend the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture and the soy milk mixture alternatively to the banana mixture and blend just until combined.
- Add the walnuts and stir to evenly distribute the nuts.
- Spray a non-stick bread loaf pan with Coconut Spray oil or the oil of your choice.
- Pour the batter into the bread loaf pan and then place walnuts along the top center of the loaf, pushing them slightly into the batter.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve.