The Chocolate Covered Strawberry
Six pounds of fresh strawberries were staring at me on the kitchen counter and although I popped one of those luscious red fruits into my mouth every time I walked by, I was still faced with a mountain of ripe strawberries by late afternoon. With very little time to make dessert, I opted to make a family favorite: Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Using two 3.5 ounce Dark 70% Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate Bars (although I also use a 9.5 ounce bag of Dove Dark Chocolate Silky Smooth Promises from time to time) , there were 50 chocolate covered strawberries chilling in the refrigerator within 30 minutes.
Approximately 50 small, 40 medium, or 30 large strawberries
7 ounces (two 3.5 ounce bars) of 70% dark chocolate (or a 9.5 ounce bag of Dove Dark Chocolate Silky Smooth Promises)* or your favorite chocolate
*I use Green & Black Organic Dark Chocolate Bars which make a very thin chocolate when melted. The Dove chocolate (which is also excellent) is a thicker consistency when melted which is why a larger amount is called for. Note that Green & Black’s dark chocolate is vegan while Dove dark chocolate isn’t. If you want to share with the vegans in your home, use Green & Black but if you want to keep the strawberries for yourself, use Dove, feign forgetfulness and enjoy.
- Wash the strawberries, pat the water off and allow to completely dry on a paper towel.
- Line a large cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Break the chocolate bars into small pieces (or unwrap the Dove Promises) and place in a small sauce pan over very low heat (or in a double boiler with hot water) being careful not to turn the heat too high. I use an electric stove and set the dial to 1 on a scale of 1-9.
- Stir the chocolate from time to time until melted. Turn off the heat and remove the pan from the heat source.
- Grasp each strawberry by the green stem and dip into the chocolate using a spoon to help drape the chocolate around the fruit. Allow the extra chocolate to drip off for a few seconds and then place the strawberry on the parchment paper, making sure the chocolate covered strawberries are not touching each other.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes or a few hours if making the dessert ahead of time.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.