OXO Pop Containers
One of my dreams is to design my own house with five rooms on the first floor: a mud room with a dog bath/shower, a laundry room, a massive kitchen with a casual dining area connected to a family room, and a walk-in pantry with adjustable shelves lined with nearly everything a cook or baker needs to make scrumptious meals.
The pantry of my dreams will have a section for flours, sugars, beans, rice, pasta, grains, snacks, cereals, jams, sauces, chocolate, nuts, dried fruits, baking and cooking supplies – all organized for easy access. Until then, I’ve focused on organizing my limited cabinet space to maximize every square inch by using OXO Pop Containers: BPA-free containers made of clear heavy-duty plastic that are airtight, stackable, and space efficient.
One of the most important aspects of a cabinet is the ability to see the contents. Glass mason jars with an air-tight seal work magnificently for beans, rice, and foods that can be poured with ease. But for flours, sugars, cocoa, nuts, dried fruit, and baking items, a wide mouth is needed to scoop and measure, along with an air-tight seal to keep the contents fresh. Glass is also heavy so having dozens of large jars filled with flours, grains, and sugars can be a weight problem for shelves anchored to a back wall (yes, my shelves started drooping). The OXO Pop Containers are lightweight (most of the containers weigh between 0.5 – 1.0 pound) and versatile with a large top that provides an air-tight seal with the push of a finger.
The OXO Pop Containers come in five shapes: large square, small square, rectangular, circular, and cookie jar, all of which have many attributes, including: .
- The containers have a unique push-button mechanism on the top that creates an air-tight seal with the press of a button.
- The top has a removable silicone gasket to ensure an air-tight seal. The gasket can be removed for cleaning and is dishwasher safe.
- The pop up top serves as a way to lift off the lid (but lift the entire container by supporting the bottom with one hand and the side with the other hand).
- The small square shape comes in four sizes: 0.3 quart, 0.9 quart, 1.5 quart, and 2.1 quart.
- The large square shape comes in four sizes: 0.8 quart, 2.4 quart, 4.0 quart, and 5.5 quart.
- The rectangular shape comes in four sizes: .5 quart, 1.5 quart, 2.5 quart, and 3.4 quart.
- The circular shape comes in three sizes: 1.9 quart, 3 quart, and 4.5 quart.
- The cookie jars come in three sizes: 2 quart, 3 quart, and 5 quart.
- The 4.0, 4.5 and 5.5 quart containers are ideal for cereals and 5 pound bags of flour and sugar.
- The 1.5 quart, 1.9 quart, 2.4 quart, 2.5 quart, and 3.0 quart sized containers hold the contents of smaller bags (2 – 3 pounds) of speciality flours (cake, pizza, pastry, almond, grain flours, and oats) and sugars (dark brown, light brown,confectionary, etc).
- The .8 and .9 quart sized containers are very useful for dried fruits, nuts, cocoas, coffee, and tea.
- The smaller containers – .3 quart and .5 quart are useful for small amounts of chocolate chips, sprinkles, spices, and snacks.
- The containers can also be used to organize arts and crafts or sewing needs.
- The rounded corners make pouring a breeze (when utilizing the smaller sized containers); the bigger sized containers are better for scooping.
- Several of the containers come with UV protected heavy-duty plastic for dry foods sensitive to light.
- The pop top comes in white or stainless steel.
- The containers are lightweight.
- For maximum space utilization, stack the same shaped (but not necessarily the same size) containers.
There are not that many cons, but there are a few:
- The containers are not dishwasher-safe. Wash by hand but since these containers are rarely washed, the inconvenience is negligible.
- There isn’t that much difference in price between the smaller and larger containers so there is more bang for your buck with the larger containers.
- In some instances, my pop container top was easily pulled off which required me to remove the silicone gasket and wipe the interior grooves of the top, and then put the gasket back on. Don’t lift the containers by the lid.
- The containers are breakable if dropped.
The OXO Pop Containers are priced from $7.99 – $19.99 and can be purchased at stores nationwide including Target, Crate & Barrel, Williams-Sonoma, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and Macy’s, where they are often on sale for 15%-25% off. Macy’s cardholders can also utilize the many coupons sent out monthly to purchase the containers in the Home Department. OXO also sells 3-piece ($39.99), 5-piece ($49.99), and 10-piece ($99.99) sets – although these sets tend to contain more smaller-sized containers than larger-sized containers.