Most people think somersaults are for the young, but a healthy new snack food called Somersaults® is for anyone who has come full circle and now wants a nutrient-dense delicious crunchy snack for themselves and their families. Made primarily of sunflower seeds and toasted grains, Somersaults® come in five flavors:
- Original Pacific Sea Salt
- Dutch Cocoa
- Cinnamon Crunch
- Salty Pepper
- Santa Fe Salsa
- They taste really good: Flavor is at the top of the list of reasons why we eat certain foods and Somersaults® nailed it in this category (especially the Cinnamon Crunch and Dutch Cocoa).
- They have crunch: A stroll down the snack aisle in a grocery store will confirm why most snack foods are crunchy or crispy: because texture is important and there is something deeply satisfying about biting into crunchy snacks that also taste good.
- High in Protein: Each serving (about 14 nuggets) have 6 grams of protein which is as much protein (but less fat and calories) than a serving of many popular nuts including almonds, walnuts, pecans, and macadamia nuts.
- Low in Sugar: With 1 gram (Sea Salt, Salty Pepper), 2 grams (Santa Fe Salsa), 4 grams (Cocoa), and 7 grams (Cinnamon Crunch) per serving, Somersaults® offer a great alternative to sugary sweet-laden snacks.
- Made from non-GMO ingredients
- Certified kosher
- High in Fiber: One serving of Somersaults® contains 3 grams of fiber (same as an apple). Chicory root – an ingredient in Somersaults® – adds fiber to the nuggets.
- Made from seeds: Somersaults® are primarily made of sunflower seeds – a great source of vitamins (Vitamin E, antioxidants, and potassium), and protein – and sesame seeds which contain calcium, magnesium, and iron.
- Nut-free: There are no nuts in Somersaults® which make them an ideal addition to lunch boxes or for an afternoon snack.
- No artificial colors or flavors
The sodium in the Pacific Sea Salt, Salty Pepper, and Santa Fe Salsa is between 240 – 270 mg per serving and, yet these flavors are meant to be salty. The Dutch Cocoa and Cinnamon Crunch have significantly lower levels of sodium – 100 mg and 140 mg, respectively. All five flavors are vegetarian and three of the flavors (Pacific Sea Salt, Crunchy Cinnamon, and Salty Pepper) are vegan.
Somersaults® come in four sizes: single serving 1-ounce packets (6 to a box for about $4-$5), a 2-ounce packet (about $2), 6-ounce packets ($3.69-4.99), and family-sized 20-ounce packets ($11.49). All packets are resealable (although this never seems to be an issue in our home where they disappear as soon as the bag is opened).
Somersaults® are available nationwide at fine grocery stores including Whole Foods Market, Target, Safeway, Wegman’s, and Stop & Shop, Albertson’s, and more. To find a retailer, use the store locator (www.somersaultsnackco.com) or purchase on-line through www.luckyvitamin.com, www.soap.com, www.iherb.com, www.drugstore.com or directly from the company’s on-line store: www.somersaultsnackco.com. To obtain a 15% discount (through January 29, 2015) on the 6 ounce packages, enter code “6OZ15” at checkout on the company website.
So, even if you can’t imagine putting your body into a somersault (there are more than 30 different ways), you can reward your body with a nutritious, crunchy, and delicious serving of Somersault® nuggets.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.