Whose Your Daddio?
If aluminum is good then anodized aluminum is perfection.
Natural aluminum bakeware has been the standard for commercial bakeries for decades because of its strength and durability. By reflecting heat rather than absorbing heat, aluminum reaches baking temperatures faster and cools quicker (dark steel or heavy weight metal bakeware retains heat and continues baking long after the pan has been removed from the oven). However, aluminum is porous and will absorb fats, sugar, oil, dish soap, and detergents. The solution? Anodized aluminum.
When aluminum is anodized (it’s not a coating but a procedure), the thickness of the natural oxide layer of the outside surface is thickened by an environmentally friendly process that contains no chemical additives, dyes, CFC’s (a class of compounds – usually gases used in refrigerants and aerosols), PTFE’s (a synthetic covering including Teflon), or PFOA’s (a synthetic chemical applied to surfaces). Anodization will “safe-seal” the natural pores of aluminum creating a smoother, thicker, safer, and more versatile baking surface. An anodized aluminum pan will also:
- Heat faster and cool quicker to prevent over baking;
- Ensure even baking with no hot spots;
- Provide easy release and clean up;
- Will never rust, chip, flake, pit, or peel;
- Will work in temperatures up to 550 degrees.
- Create a non-reactive surface which allows you to bake a wider variety of ingredients like citrus fruits and tomatoes that react poorly with natural aluminum and steel products.
In 2006, Fat Daddio’s – a Spokane, Washington-based company – introduced Fat Daddio’s Pro Series Bakeware made of anodized aluminum for both the commercial and home baker. With more than 325 different sized pans to choose from, the commercial and home baker has their baking needs covered…at very competitive prices (an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan is about $10 and a 6 inch round is about $5). Choose among:
- Round Cake Pans (45 sizes)
- Square Cake Pans (39 sizes)
- Sheet Cake Pans (25 sizes)
- Shaped Cake Pans (89 sizes)
- Snack Cake Pans (3 sizes)
- Angel Food Pans (3)
- Cheesecake Pans with removable bottoms (45 sizes)
- Springform Pans (5 sizes)
- Cupcake/Muffin Pans (17 sizes)
- Pie Pans (6)
- French Bread, Baguette, and Breakstick Pans (3 sizes)
- Bread Pans (6)
- Cookie Sheets (3)
- Jelly Roll Pans (2)
- Contour Pans (7)
- Mad Dadder Pans (10 sizes)
- Pizza Pans (3 sizes)
- Ring Mold Pans (3 sizes)
- Tart/Quiche Pans (20 sizes)
Fat Daddio Pro Series Bakeware Pans are available nationwide at kitchen stores, fine gourmet and kitchen ware retailers, and on-line through numerous retailers including www.globalsugarart.com, www.surlatable.com, www.chefscatalog.com, and www.kitchenkapers.com. To read more about Fat Daddio’s products, go to the company website: www.fatdaddios.com.