Vegan Dining in Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland, Ohio – named after General Moses Cleveland in 1796 – on the southern shore of Lake Erie was a melting pot for immigrants who brought their culinary traditions with them. More than 200 years later, those culinary influences are still evident in the restaurant scene in the Cleveland metropolitan area, and specifically in the vegan dining options (in no particular order) listed below:
- Type of Restaurant: Vegan
- Address: 17112 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107
- Phone Number: 216-221-0201
- Hours: Tuesday- Friday from 10:00 am-4:00 pm; Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 am-2:00 pm; closed Monday
- Website: www.clevelandvegan.com
- Menu: www.clevelandvegan.com/menu
- Other Comments: Also a full-service vegan catering business and bakery since 2012 with an emphasis on all organic ingredients
Open since November, 2014, this bright, airy restaurant in a picturesque town five miles west of downtown Cleveland serves up breakfast, lunch, and brunch six days a week. Walk through the glass front doors and you may feel like you’re in a vegan version of a Thomas the Train diner (this is in homage to the previous occupant – a hobby shop) where everyone is cheerful and helpful. The walls are decorated with beautifully carved wood works of trains, fruits, and vegetables that just make diners smile. The menu (which changes every 2-3 months to showcase fresh and seasonal foods) is extensive but simple: three columns of choices which can be best described as starters, side dishes, and main courses.
Try the Bruschetta Trio: three types of bruschetta (tomato basil, peach/red pepper, and celery/lime) served with grilled baguette slices, the avocado toast (toast covered in avocado, tomato, cucumber and fresh herbs) for $5, the Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes (2 huge pancakes served with fresh strawberry compote and coconut whip) – with or without real maple syrup for $11, or one of their newest offerings: Swiss Chard Enchiladas with a filling of sweet potato, kale and roasted pepitas topped with enchiladas sauce.
The Flaming Ice Cube
- Type of Restaurant: Vegan
- Address: 140 Public Square, Cleveland, Ohio 44114 (a second location is in Boardman, Ohio)
- Phone Number: 216-263-1111
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 10:30 am-9:00 pm; Friday 10:30 am-10:00 pm; Saturday 11:00 am-10:00pm
- Website: www.flamingice.com
- Menu: www.flamingoice.com/menus/cleveland-menu
- Other Comments: Great place for lunch if downtown
Located in a small storefront in downtown Cleveland since 2010, The Flaming Ice Cube specializes in homemade vegan cuisine – veggie burgers, quinoa bowls, soups and sandwiches – along with smoothies, juices, and speciality teas. Try one of the handcrafted vegan burgers (there are six on the menu and often another as a special) served with a variety of fixin’s (lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, ketchup vegan mayo, grilled pineapple, peppers, and vegan cheese).
- Type of Restaurant: Contemporary non-GMO American Cuisine
- Address: 1909 West 25th Street, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Phone Number: 216-344-9400
- Hours: Monday-Friday 11:00 am-2:30 am; Saturday and Sunday 9:00 am-2:30 am
- Website: www.townhallohiocity.com
- Menu: www.townhallohiocity.com/food-drink/
- Other Comments: Lively bar scene, too!
Town Hall is a GMO-free restaurant that celebrates a variety of dietary preferences including vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian, and paleo. Although vegan options are available daily, Monday night is special because an extensive menu dedicated to vegans is available.
Consider the Black Bean and Quinoa and Fattoush Wrap: a tortilla filled with white bean hummus, quinoa and black bean falafel, fattoush, greens, tomatoes, with a side of crunchy plantain chips and cucumber aioli or the Crispy Tofu Wings served with Korean BBQ sauce or spicy garlic Buffalo sauce along with celery and carrot matchsticks. The Beer Battered Avocado Tacos (soft) are simply delicious.
The “Monday Vegan Dessert” changes weekly and may include the carrot cake with “cream cheese” frosting: moist and delicious.
- Type of Restaurant: Modern American Cuisine with an infusion of multiple ethnic/regional cuisines
- Address: 2247 Professor Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Phone Number: 216-274-1200
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 4:30 pm-11:00 pm; Friday and Saturday 4:30 pm – midnight
- Website: www.dante.danteboccuzzi.com
- Menu: www.dante.danteboccuzzi.com
- Other Comments: Where atmosphere and food come together to make beautiful music.
Dante is a showstopper of a restaurant in a beautifully renovated 100-year old bank building (including a vault used as a private dining room) in the historical Tremont neighborhood, with vegetarian and vegan dining options on the menu that are not only breathtaking but off the charts delicious. With a Michelin Starred Chef (Dante Boccuzzi), Dante is the place to go for foodies of all types who appreciate atmosphere and gourmet food without pretension.
The vegan menu options may include a Salad of 7 Vegetables, Pickled Fennel Cucumbers, Celery Root Salad, Apricots, Arugula and Pickled Eggplant Salad, Garlic Braised Greens of the Day and a Roasted Eggplant Steak served with napa cabbage, honeydew melon, black quinoa, and coconut curry sauce. Finish with a delicious and decadent slice of vegan orange cheesecake which is a blend of tastes and textures – creamy, crunchy, tangy, slightly sweet and scrumptious.
A 5-course tasting menu is also offered for vegans, vegetarians, gluten-free, and those on a non-restricted diet for $65, which also includes a tangy sorbet palate cleanser before dessert. My carnivore husband swears the vegan tasting menu will convert non-vegans to a life of plant-based food….well, almost.
For a more casual lunch (Wednesday-Friday 11:00 am-3:00 pm) and brunch (Saturday and Sunday 10:30 am-3:00 pm) try Dante Next Door located literally next door to Dante. Hand tossed pizzas baked in a traditional wood burning oven (just ask them to hold the cheese and pile on the vegetables), pasta, salads, and sandwiches are all offered for lunch while the brunch menu includes a little bit of everything.
Bac Asian American Bistro and Bar
- Type of Restaurant: Asian and American Bistro
- Address: 2661 West 14th Street, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Phone Number: 216-938-8960
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00 am-10:00 pm; Friday and Saturday 11:00 am-11:00 pm; Sunday closed
- Website: www.bactremont.com
- Menu: www.bactremont.com/menu.php
- Other Comments: Something for everyone!
Then continue with a Vietnamese Noodle Salad (with or without tofu), Kim Chi Noodles (with or without tofu), basic fried rice, or a classic stir fry. A variety of curries are also offered along with seasonal specialties. Simply tell the server you’re a vegan.
- Type of Restaurant: Lebanese/American
- Address: There are 14 locations in the Cleveland metropolitan area.Click here for locations
- Hours: Vary by location but generally Monday-Thursday 10:30 am – 10:30 pm; Friday and Saturday 11:00 am-11:30 pm; Sunday 11:00 am-10:00 pm
- Website: www.aladdinseatery.com
- Menu: www.aladdinseatery.com/menu/
- Other Comments: Why can’t every city have a local chain like Aladdin’s?
My first visit to an Aladdin’s was in Oberlin, Ohio which led to a second and third visit. A super casual local (Cleveland metropolitan area) eatery that serves up Lebanese-American food including pita pockets, rolled pita sandwiches, pitzas (pizza made with pita bread), salads, and more. Over 70 items on the menu are vegetarian or vegan so the choices are abundant.
- Type of Restaurant: Contemporary American Cuisine
- Address: 2417 Professor Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44113
- Phone Number: 216-781-8858
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 5:00 pm-11:00 pm, Friday-Saturday 5:00 pm – 1:00 am; Sunday closed
- Website: www.chefroccowhalen.com
- Menu: www.chefroccowhalen.com/fahrenheit-cleveland/vegan-menu
- Other Comments: A hoppin’ place in Tremont with seasonal outdoor dining
Located in the historic Tremont neighborhood, Fahrenheit opened in 2002 as a restaurant that changes their menu often with the seasons to reflect the imagination of the chef (Rocco Whalen) and the availability of the freshest ingredients from local and regional farms. One of the few full service (to all types of eaters) restaurants in Cleveland to have a separate vegan menu, Fahrenheit offers delicious options to those who prefer plant-based options.
Start with Roasted and Marinated Beets served on a bed of beet greens with hazelnuts and Meyer lemon or Roasted Cauliflower served with a golden raisins and a gremolata (one of Italy’s most flavorful inventions) made with almonds and parsley.
Entrees include Gnocchi served with roasted tomatoes, butternuts squash, Tuscan kale, and caramelized onions, or Root Vegetables and Rice Noodles made with rutabaga, brussels sprouts, baby carrots, a soy-apple glaze, peanuts, and cilantro.
Dessert is homemade vegan ice cream (the flavor of which changes frequently) or sorbet.
Earth Bistro Cafe
- Type of Restaurant: Contemporary American Cuisine with a Cuban Flair – serving vegan and vegetarian food
- Address: 11122 Clifton Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44102
- Phone Number: 216-201-9338
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 11:30 am-9:00 pm
- Website: www.earthbistrocafe.com
- Menu: www.earthbistrocafe.com/vegan-menu
- Other Comments: A casual cafe with great food!
Earth Bistro Cafe is a casual restaurant with a vegan menu that offers a variety of appetizers (guacamole, hummus, quesadillas, tapenade, and roasted vegetable piadina), salads (House, Spring, Fiesta, Vegan Caesar, Deconstructed Caprice, Marinated Tofu, Vegetarian, and an Ensalada Alegre), sandwiches, tacos, tostadas, burritos, wraps, and veggie burgers.
Forage Public House
- Type of Restaurant: Contemporary American (with an emphasis on sustainable and local sourcing)
- Address: 14600 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107
- Phone Number: 216-226-2000
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00 am-10:00 pm; Friday and Saturday 11:00 am-11:00 pm; Sunday 11:00 am-9:00 pm
- Website: www.foragepublichouse.com
- Menu: www.foragepublichouse.com
- Other Comments: Seasonal outdoor dining, too!
Located in downtown Lakewood (5 miles west of Cleveland), the Forage Public House offers both indoor and outdoor dining. Although Thursday is when vegetarian and vegan diners are celebrated (by offering weekly specials), the main menu also offers some flavorful plant-based options every day of the week.
Choose from daily pickles and foraged vegetables, pomme frites, Vegan Mac n Cheese, a house salad, Farmer Lee Jones Roasted Vegetables, the Asparagus Power Salad, Baby Kale Salad, Vegan Mushroom Pudding, or the Vegan Israeli Couscous Salad (roasted baby vegetables and wild arugula with a huckleberry vinaigrette (simply delicious).
Desserts change weekly but often feature Mitchell’s vegan ice cream, and if you’re lucky served between two vegan chocolate chip cookies which can only be described as downright decadent.
Mustard Seed Market and Cafe
- Type of Restaurant: Market and Cafe
- Address: 6025 Kruse Drive, Solon, Ohio 44139 (20 miles southeast of Cleveland);(2 other locations in Akron)
- Phone Number: 440-519-3663
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 9:00 am-9:00 pm; Sunday 10:00 am-6:00 pm
- Website: www.mustardseedmarket.com
- Menu: www.mustardseedmarket.com/cafe-dessert-menu/ (Montrose location in Akron) and www.mustardseedmarket.com/cafe/highland-square-men/ (Highland Square location in Akron)
Mustard Seed Market and Cafe is the local version of Whole Foods Market. With three locations to choose from, the market goes by the name of “Mustard Seed” among locals. The market contains produce (lots of organic), groceries, bakery items, an extensive wine and beer department, bulk, health and beauty, and more. The cafe offers coffee, tea, smoothies, fresh juice, ice cream and snacks, and a more extensive menu in the Montrose (below) and Highland Square cafes in Akron (about 30 miles south of Cleveland).
- Type of Restaurant: Contemporary American
- Address: 170 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115
- Phone Number: 216-987-0100
- Hours: Monday-Friday 11:30 am-2:00 pm and 4:00 pm to closing; Saturday 4:00 pm-closing
- Website: www.puravidabybrandt.com
- Menu: www.puravidabybrandt.com
- Other Comments: Where creative presentations meet delicious!
Brandt Evans, one of Ohio’s most celebrated chefs is behind Pura Vida – which means “Pure Life” and is the motto of a restaurant that emphasizes creativity in both preparation and presentation. With something for everyone, Pura Vida offers vegans a choice of salads (with roasted tofu), Chilled Moroccan Couscous, Smoked Chick Pea Hummus, or a African Peanut Stew (with sweet potatoes, kale, curry, and peanuts) to start.
Entrees include the infamous “Veggie Big Mac” – two rice and bean patties, special sauce, lettuce, “cheese,” and pickles on a sesame seed bun, a “Mushroom Po’boy” – a mushroom burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and a veggie roulade. Add Sea Salt and Rosemary Fries, Garlic Dill Pickle Potato Chips, House Pickled Vegetables, or Roasted Asparagus as a side.
Other vegan options include Chinese Heirloom Rice with roasted tofu (local), swiss chard, mushrooms, scallions, sweet Thai chili glaze, and lime, or “Chicken” Fried Cauliflower served with chipotle maple glazed kale, a vegan biscuit with white pepper gravy, and roasted fingerling potatoes. End the meal with Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp served with vegan vanilla ice cream along with oat and almond crumble.
Vegan Sweet Tooth
- Type of Restaurant: Vegan Bakery
- Address: 28699 Chagrin Boulevard, Woodmere, Ohio
- Phone Number: 216-464-2404
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm; Thursday-Saturday 10:00 am – 8:00 pm; Sunday closed
- Website: www.vegansweettooth.com
- Menu: www.vegansweettooth.com/menu
- Other Comments: That famous quote seems applicable: Let them eat cake!
This is the place to order a vegan birthday cake. With 16 cake flavors, 10 fillings, 16 frostings, and 8 simple syrups to choose from and in sizes from 4 inches to 14 inches, Vegan Sweet Tooth has the vegan cake market covered.
Also choose from pies, cheesecakes, cookies, muffins, cake pops, granola, power bars, scones (the peach scone is crunchy on the outside and moist in the inside) and cupcakes (both mini and regular sized) in a variety of flavors (chocolate kahlúa is like having your coffee and eating it too).
Located inside a shopping mall (anchored by Barnes and Noble, Trader Joe’s, Tiffany’s, and Northface) in the center court, Vegan Sweet Tooth is hard to walk by without stopping to admire all the creations displayed in the glass counters.
- Type of Restaurant: Cafe
- Address: There are three locations (click here).
- Phone Number: See location link above
- Hours: Hours vary by location (see the website listed below)
- Website: www.treehuggerscafe.com
- Menu: www.treehuggerscafe.com
- Other Comments: A cafe that showcases the day’s freshest ingredients.
Treehugger’s Cafe is one of those places people gravitate to for smoothies, homemade soups, salads, paninis, wraps, weekly specials, and delicious desserts. The closest Treehugger Cafe is about 15 miles southwest of Cleveland in Middleburg Heights, with the other two located in Berea (16 miles southwest of Cleveland) and Oberlin (35 miles southwest of Cleveland).
Treehugger makes all their food to order and uses seasonal produce (almost all organic) from local farms. Vegan options include a quinoa breakfast bowl, granola with almond milk, the “Feather Free Vegan” (homemade vegan sausage patty with vegan cheese, baby spinach, mushrooms, onions, and tahini sauce) and more for breakfast. For lunch or snack, consider one of the many salads, all of which can be made vegan or the Mediterranean Quinoa Protein Wrap (which can be ordered without feta cheese). Daily vegan specials are also offered. A wide selection of vegan desserts – cookies, muffins and more – top off the delicious organic meals.
Sanctuary on Green
- Type of Restaurant: Homemade American/Bavarian
- Address: 1936 South Green Road, South Euclid, Ohio 44121
- Phone Number: 216-691-1936
- Hours: Serving lunch on Fridays and Saturdays at 11:30 am and 1:30 pm only from mid-March – October 3
- Website: www.sanctuaryongreen.com
- Menu: www.sanctuaryongreen.com/lunch_pastries_menu
- Other Comments: A great place for girlfriend lunches (my husband calls this place a “chick place” but he loved his meal).
Overlooking the Nine Mile Creek Wetlands, the Sanctuary on Green is one of the most unique and relaxing places to enjoy a delicious vegan, vegetarian, or macrobiotic meal. Situated in a sculpture garden, this gem of a place only serves lunch on Fridays and Saturdays during Spring, Summer and early Fall, so make reservations ahead of time because space is limited.
Try the Macrobiotic Great Life Plate, The Veganist – Tofu Schnitzel or the Meditterean Plate for a delicious lunch with vegetables from the garden on site. The hummus is just fabulous. Fresh, delicious, and nourishing. Don’t forget to order a cup of hot or cold tea from a menu that includes more than 100 teas.
- Type of Restaurant: Artisan Bakery
- Address: 18101 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107
- Phone Number: 216-529-8443
- Hours: Tuesday-Friday 7:00 am-7:00 pm; Saturday 7:00 am-5:00 pm; Sundays 8:00 am-4:00 pm; Sunday closed
- Website: www.breadsmithcleveland.com
- Menu: www.breadsmithcleveland.com/menu-htm
- Other Comments: The joy of bread is spread here.
This isn’t a place for lunch or dinner but it’s hard to bypass an artisan bakery that makes dozens of types of breads and rolls every single day. Try the Seeded Whole Wheat (vegetarian) or the Raisin Cinnamon Walnut.
Mitchell’s Ice Cream
- Type of Restaurant: Ice Cream Parlour
- Address: 1867 West 25th Street, Cleveland, Ohio (with 7 other locations)
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday 11:00 am-10:00 pm; Friday and Saturday 11:00 am-midnight
- Website: www.mitchellshomemade.com
- Menu: www.mitchellshomemade.com/our-menu
- Other Comments: Look at the ceiling and watch the trains move!
Ohio-based Mitchell’s Ice Cream is the hometown boy – actually, two hometown Cleveland boys who started Mitchell’s Ice Cream in 1999. With 8 locations in the Cleveland metropolitan area, Mitchell’s also serves up a few delicious vegan flavors including chocolate, vegan salted caramel pecan, mango sorbet, and raspberry sorbet.
The Sweet Spot
- Type of Restaurant: Gelato Parlour
- Address: 17804-06 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107
- Phone Number: 216-221-8870
- Hours: Sunday-Thursday Noon-10:00 pm; Friday and Saturday Noon-11:00 pm
- Website: www.thesweetspotcleveland.com
- Menu: www.thesweetspotcleveland.com/flavors.html
- Other Comments: Just plain yummy!