The Rice Bowl (without the rice)
Rice bowls are the “it bowls” of the moment with the popularity of this one-bowl meal growing exponentially day by day because of its versatility. The basic concept of a rice bowl is to cover a mound of rice with vegetables, beans, and/or tofu with the possibilities virtually endless because there are so many types of ingredients to choose from, even if rice seems to be the foundation. But what if you skip the rice and stick to vegetables and tofu? Well then, you’ll have a rice bowl without the rice: a delicious, crunchy, colorful bowl of vegetables with seasoned tofu.
- 1 15-ounce container organic extra-firm tofu, sliced into 7 pieces with each piece sliced in half and then into thirds (creating 42 small squares of tofu)
- 1/4 cup Premier Japan Teriyaki Sauce (or your favorite teriyaki sauce)
- 1.5 pound bag of golden potatoes, sliced in half and quartered
- 1 pound of organic carrots, peeled and cut slantwise into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 Haas avocado, sliced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Eden Shake (sesame and sea vegetable seasoning) or your favorite seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Line a cookie sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place the quartered potatoes in a medium size mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and blend.
Place the potatoes skin side up on the parchment paper in a single layer. Cover with aluminum foil.
Place in the oven and roast covered for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the slanted carrot slices in the medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and blend. Add the teaspoon of light brown sugar and mix to blend. Set aside until the timer rings on the potatoes.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and lift off the foil. Pour the carrot slices evenly over the potatoes and place back in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and sprinkle lightly with salt.
Meanwhile, place the teriyaki sauce in a large non-stick frying pan and heat to medium high. Add the tofu pieces in a single layer. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the sides are light brown and then flip with a knife, spoon, or small spatula. Brown the other side for 5-7 minutes and then remove the tofu from the heat.
Place 4 large rice or soup bowls on the countertop. Divide the potato and carrot mixture among the four bowls. Divide the tofu among the four bowls. Gently blend. Top with diced avocado and a 1/4 teaspoon of Eden Shake seasoning. Serve immediately.