Pasta with Roasted Vegetable Sauce and Broccoli
If you’re longing for creamy pasta without the dairy, then Pasta with Roasted Vegetable Sauce and Broccoli is just the dish. Roasted butternut squash, sweet potatoes, onions and corn mixed with low-sodium vegetable broth and unsweetened cashew milk form the foundation of a thick sauce that goes perfectly with pasta and steamed broccoli.
Adapted from a recipe called Roasted Harvest Pasta by Katherine Lawrence in the book, Plant Strong by Rip Esselstyn, Pasta with Roasted Vegetable Sauce and Broccoli calls for more vegetables and a heavier hand on the seasoning along with the addition of broccoli that adds both color and texture to this delicious dish.
Pasta with Roasted Vegetable Sauce and Broccoli (serves 6-8)
- 1/2 of a butternut squash (about 3 cups cubed)
- 1 large sweet potato (about 3 cups, cubed)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small elephant garlic clove or 2-3 regular garlic cloves, minced through a garlic press
- 1 15 or 16-ounce can of white or yellow corn (with no sugar or salt added)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup of low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup of unsweetened cashew milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 3 tablespoons Penzy’s Sunny Paris Seasoning (a blend of purple shallots, chives, green peppercorns, basil, tarragon, chervil, bay leaf, and dill weed) or your favorite seasoning blend.
- 1 pound of pasta (penne, bow-tie, rigatoni), preferably whole grain
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small pieces (both the florets and stem)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of freshly diced flat leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the vegetable broth over the vegetables and stir to blend.
Bake for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Remove the vegetables from the oven.
In a blender, pour 1 cup of the vegetable broth and 1 cup of the unsweetened cashew milk. Add all the vegetables to the blender and process until a thick, smooth sauce emerges (about 20-30 seconds). This makes about 7 cups of sauce.
Cook the pasta according to the directions. Drain and return to the large pot.
Steam the broccoli and drain. Add the broccoli to the large pot of pasta.
Pour about 3-1/2 cups of sauce (add 1/2 cup more if you want an even creamier sauce) into the pot of pasta and broccoli. Gently stir to distribute and then serve immediately. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top along with fresh parsley.