Executive Compensation at Samaritan’s Purse
Samaritan’s Purse is an evangelical Christian organization that provides “spiritual and physical aid” to people around the world. To perform evangelism and relief programs, Samaritan’s Purse provides charter travel via the use of ministry owned aircraft in North Carolina, Alaska, Kenya, and Liberia, and private charters.
In 2016, Samaritan’s Purse reported 2,500 individuals were employed with the organization of which 57 received more than $100,000 in compensation. The following 12 individuals were the mostly highly compensated employees:
- $713,846: W Franklin Graham, III, Board Member, Chairman, President, and CEO
- $309,845: Phyllis T Payne, Board Member, Secretary, VP Corporate Affairs
- $308,886: Ronald Wilcox, COO
- $308,853: J Kenneth Isaacs, VP Programs, Government Relations
- $308,761: James Harrelson, VP, Operation Christmas Child
- $281,503: William Maupin, VP Info Technology
- $279,739: Merrill Littlejohn, CFO and VP Finance
- $275,387: James Dailey, VP Communications
- $255,819: James Loscheider, VP Donor Ministries
- $246,641: J Luther Harrison, VP North America Ministries
- $244,370: Christopher Weeks, Chief Legal Officer, Director Affairs
- $173,217: Donna Pierce, Assistant Secretary
As listed above, $3.7 million in compensation was paid to 12 individuals (an average of $310,000 each). 10 of the 12 (or 83%) most highly compensated individuals are men while 2 (or 17%) are women.
The IRS Form 990 (2016) of Samaritan’s Purse also reports the organization pays for:
- First Class or Charter Travel (addressed above)
- Housing Allowance or Residence for Personal Use
- Personal Services (such as maid, chauffeur, chef)
- Travel for Companions
- Tax Indemnification and Gross Up Payments
Business transactions involving interested persons includes the following payments made to:
- $602,585: J Michael Harwood, Director, for as asset purchase (not specified)
- $130,930: Scott Hughes, Son-in-Law of Director, for compensation and benefits
- $ 69,308: Marty Cottrell, Son-in-Law of Director, for compensation and benefits
- $ 43,663: Jane Graham, Spouse of Director, for compensation and benefits
- $ 40,705: Jessica Zerkle, Daughter of Key Employee, for compensation and benefits
- $ 48,091: John Payne, Spouse of Director, for compensation and benefits
- $ 35,159: William Furman, Son of Officer, for compensation and benefits
- $ 31,269: Jane Lynch, Daughter of Director, for compensation and benefits
- $ 19,068: Phakjira Isaacs, Daughter-in-Law of Key Employee, for compensation and benefits
To read the IRS Form 990 (2016) click here.
Click on “Executive Compensation at Samaritan’s Purse (2018)” for more information.
Click on “Where Does $100 to Samaritan’s Purse Spent (2018)” for updated information.
Click on “Comparing Mathew 25 Ministries and Samaritan’s Purse” for more information.