Executive Compensation at the YMCA of Greater NY
The YMCA of Greater New York (YMCA – GNY) is the largest “alliance” of YMCA’s with 24 branches in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Statin Island, and a camp in upstate New York. Based in New York City, the MYCA-GNY employs 6,581 persons who were compensated $101 million (an average of $15,300 per employee). 74 individuals received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 21 most highly compensated employees listed below:
- $862,766: Rena McGreevy, SVP, COO (thru 3/1/2016)
- $736,835: Sharon Greenburger, President and CEO
- $595,544: Michael Guarino, EVP, CFO, Treasurer
- $487,939: Gregory Coil, VP, Properties/Operations
- $467,314: Paul Custer, SVP, Corporate Secretary (thru 6/10/2016)
- $376,734: Gary Laermer, SVP, Chief Development Officer
- $366,629: Melvin Tse, COO Interim, SVP Operations
- $323,170: Tiffeny Forest, VP Operations
- $307,869: Lori Benson, VP, Healthy Lifestyles
- $266,634: Heather Livernois, VP Finance
- $241,151: Richard Bianchi, VP Properties
- $232,883: James Trocchia,VP Human Resources
- $226,920: Diego Aviles, VP Fund Development
- $216,382: Anita Harvey, Sr. Executive Director
- $216,169: Sharon Levy, VP Public Affairs
- $208,394: Judy Ouziel, Senior Executive Strategic Initiatives
- $195,124: Julie Gallanty, Senior Executive Director
- $190,927: Elizabeth Bergin, Corporate Secretary, SVP (as of 7/5/2016)*
- $188,297: John Rappaport, Senior Executive Director
- $162,639: Natalie Norton, SVP, COO (as of 10/3/2016)*
- $140,719: John Lund, Former President and CEO
* The 2016 IRS Form 990 covers the year ending December 31, 2016. Therefore, the compensation appears low because the compensation is for approximately 6 months for Elizabeth Bergin and 3 months for Natalie Norton.
As listed above, the 21 most highly compensated individuals received total compensation of $7 million (an average of $334,000 each). 11 (52%) were women while 10 (48%) were men. Of the ten most highly compensated employees, 5 were men and 5 were women.
The IRS Form 990 of the YMCA-GNY also reports the following key information:
First class or charter travel is paid for by the YMCA-GNY.
Compensation includes but is not limited to the base salary, annual incentive opportunity, distributions from SEC 457 (B) vested deferred compensation plan, distributions from SEC 457 (F) non-vests short-term and long-term deferred compensation plan, SEC 529 qualified tuition plan, term life insurance, value of insurance (PS58 costs) of whole life insurance in SEC 457 (F) plan, supplemental long-term disability insurance, long -term care insurance, and paid severance payments.
Paul Custer’s compensation also included $50,000 in professional fees for providing overall development, organizational and strategic advice while representing the YMCA-GNY with gov’t officials, donors, and other members of the community and providing other services in 2016 subsequent to his retirement.
John Lund’s compensation also included $2,000 in professional fees for providing overall development, organizational and strategic advice while representing the YMCA-GNY with gov’t officials, donors, and other members of the community and providing other services in 2016 subsequent to his retirement.
Contributions to the employee benefit plans and deferred compensation includes but is not limited to the following: contributions to SEC 403 (B) tax-shelters annuity plan, to SEC 457 (F) non-vested short-term and long-term deferred compensation plan and payments to welfare benefit plans on behalf of the officers, trustees, and key employees such as medical, dental, life insurance, severance pay, disability, etc.
The organization pays for health or social club dues and specifically receive at not additional cost to the YMCA, membership to facilities of the YMCA-GNY.
Severance payments of $234,231 were made to Rena McGreevy and $121,154 to Paul Custer in 2016.
Severance payments were scheduled to be paid to the following ex-employees:
- $ 55,769: Rena McGreevy
- $103,846: Paul Custer
- $198,071: Gregory Coil
- $ 60,699: Lori Benson
- $ 94,993: Tiffeny Forest
To read the IRS Form 990 (2016) click here.