10 Health Things That Make You Go Hmmm
Dr. Greger, MD of Nutrition Facts (www.nutritionfacts.org) has shown that “plant-based nutrition is the only diet that’s ever been proven to reverse heart disease in the majority of patients” and is effective in “treating, arresting, and reversing some of our other leading killers as well.” Knowing this, there have been many situations related to health that have caused me to pause and question the advice given, the reasoning offered, or the justification provided by doctors, nurses, nutritionists, and the general public. Here are just a few…….
- When blood work reveals high cholesterol, a patient is prescribed a statin to reduce cholesterol….Why isn’t the patient told to reduce his intake of animal products, processed foods, and oils while increasing his intake of fruits and vegetables?
- When people tell you they have genetically high cholesterol but don’t consider that maybe, just maybe it’s their diet that includes chicken breasts, processed meat products, fish, eggs, and dairy products causing the high cholesterol?
- When the American Heart Association lists recipes with known carcinogens (i.e processed meats).
- When the American Diabetes Association lists a recipe for bacon (a known carcinogen) wrapped shrimp (a high cholesterol food).
- When a patient with high blood sugar is solely focused on sugar content of food instead of also focusing on the amount of fat in his/her diet that is prohibiting the absorption of glucose (Type II diabetes occurs when the insulin made by the pancreas cannot be absorbed into the cells presumably because there is too much fat in the blood).
- When people think the answer to high cholesterol, elevated blood pressure, and Type II Diabetes is medication. Why do people focus on the effect rather than the cause?
- When your friend’s young child is taken to the pediatrician for a constipation problem and the doctor tells the parent to give the child a mild laxative, add a tablespoon of oil to the child’s diet and/or increase water intake…..why wasn’t the parent told to take the child off cow milk which has been found to be the leading cause of childhood constipation?
- When a person goes to the doctor and is told to take Metamucil daily to relieve constipation…..Why wasn’t the patient told to increase his/her intake of fruits and vegetables and to add a tablespoon of flaxseed meal daily to their diet?
- When the Susan G Komen accepts dollars from General Mills, maker of Yoplait (when the link between dairy products and the reoccurrence of breast cancer has been demonstrated).
And, two things that are not directly associated with a plant-based diet but still make you go hmmmmm….
- When the whole population is put on the same recommended screening schedule with no consideration given to overall health, diet, lifestyle, medical history, and genetic predisposition.
- When your glasses-wearing eye doctor is trying to convince you to have lasik surgery on your eyes.