Beans are one of the foods I try to eat every single day and to ensure I do, I often make a bean salad. Although the recipe below is my go-to favorite, I often change the types of beans or seasoning depending on what I have on hand. The one ingredient always included is a crisp apple because the sweetness and crunchy texture go so well with beans that have a soft texture and mild flavor. But, it’s the avocado and walnuts that really make this salad special. Try the recipe and then be creative and mix it up based on what you have in the refrigerator and pantry.
Super easy to make, Bean Salad can be put together in minutes. Serve on a bed of greens as a main course for lunch or as a side salad. Or, do what I do and snack on a few spoonfuls throughout the day.
Bean Salad (makes 4 large servings or 6-8 small servings)
- 1 15-ounce can of garbanzo beans
- 1 15-ounce can of red kidney beans
- 2 large stalks of celery, cut lengthwise and then chopped into small pieces
- 1 large Honey Crisp, Fuji, Braeburn (or your favorite) apple, chopped into small pieces
- 1 handful (about 1/2 cup) of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 Haas avocado, cut into small pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon (keeps the avocado and apple from discoloring)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of walnut pieces
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Rinse the beans and gently place in a large serving bowl.
Add the celery, apple pieces, and avocado.
Squeeze the lemon juice over the bean salad, salt and pepper to taste, and gently toss.
Sprinkle the parsley over the salad and toss again.
Sprinkle the walnut pieces over the top of the salad.
Serve. Store any extra in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Comments are closed.
thats crispy and fresh !