Executive Compensation at the Carter Center
The Carter Center was established in 1981 as a 501 (c) (3) based in Atlanta, Georgia. With $767 million in net fund assets, the Carter Center is a well-endowed organization that focuses on public health and human rights.
In 2017, the Carter Center had 263 employees who were compensated $35 million, which equates to an average compensation of $134,000. However, the IRS Form 990 reports that just 36 individuals received more than $100,000 in compensation. The 11 most highly compensated individuals are listed as follows:
- $372,554: Mary Ann Peters, President and CEO
- $276,434: Jordan Dimik Ryan, VP Peace Programs
- $257,207: Frank O Richards, Jr, Director, Health Programs
- $238,907: Phillip J Wise, Secretary, VP Operations
- $236,242: P Craig Withers, Director, Health Programs
- $227,241: Christopher Brown, Treasurer, VP Finance
- $210,177: Seema N Shams, Chief Development Officer
- $196,145: Thomas H Borneman, Director, Mental Health Fund
- $194,177: Stephen Blount, Director, Health Programs
- $163,942: Donald R Hopkins, Special Adv – Health Programs
- $163,756: Dean Sienko, VP Health Programs
As illustrated above, 9 of the most highly compensated individuals (82%) were male while 2 (18%) were female.
The 990 reports that first class or charter travel and travel for companions was provided to employees. An explanation states it was part of a “Carter weekend” where President Carter and other key personnel and their companions were flown to the destination on a donated charter flight.
Rebecca Carter, the spouse of a child of a board member was compensated $103,982 as an employee of the foundation.
The five highest paid independent contractors were:
- $2,000,045: Kyne Communications of Dublin, Ireland for public relations.
- $ 664,638: King & Spalding of Atlanta, Georgia for legal services.
- $ 601,380: Ansar, Inc. of Thompson Station, Tennessee for mailshop services.
- $ 550,558: Proof of the Pudding of Atlanta, Georgia for events/catering.
- $ 381,400: KPMG LLP of Atlanta, Georgia for audit/tax services.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2016) for the year ending August 31, 2017, click here.