Executive Salaries at Shriner’s Hospitals for Children
Shriners Hospitals for Children have 22 hospitals within the hospital network, 20 of which are in the United States. For reporting purposes, Shriners Hospitals for Children are actually two 501 (c) (3)’s that report the revenue and expenses of these 20 hospitals:
- Shriners Hospitals for Children – Colorado (SHC – Colorado): 18 hospitals
- Shriners Hospitals for Children – Massachusetts (SHC – Mass): 2 hospitals
SHC – Colorado has 5,547 employees who were compensated $418 million in 2017, which equates to an average compensation of $75,400. 667 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the most highly compensated individuals listed below:
- $1,899,826: Jeffrey Ackman, Orthopedic Surgeon, Professor
- $1,669,604: David Greenhalgh, Chief of Staff, Burns
- $1,126,852: Michael Aiona, Chief of Staff
- $ 945,206: Salman Masud, Anesthesiologist
- $ 846,327: Douglas Barnes, Chief of Surgery
- $ 519,302: John McCabe, EVP
As illustrated above, the six (6) most highly compensated individuals were male. It is also important to note the 21 Directors and Trustees listed on the Form 990 are male.
65 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the five highest compensated listed below – all of whom were paid for medical services:
- $8,580,866: The University of Texas Medical Center of Galveston, TX for medical services
- $8,278,158: UC Regents UC Davis Medical Center of Davis, CA for medical services
- $3,966,692: Pasadena Hospital Association of Pasadena, CA for medical services
- $2,789,430: University of Illinois of Urbana, IL for medical services
- $2,136,422: Greenville Hospital System of Greenville, SC for medical services
SHC – Mass has 543 employees who were compensated $36.1 million in 2017 which equates to an average compensation of $66,500. 71 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the most highly compensated individuals listed below:
- $626,967: James Mooney, Chief of Staff
- $498,185: Prerana Patel, Orthopedic Surgeon, Assistant Professor
- $393,367: Rubini Pathy: Orthopedic Surgeon, Assistant Professor
- $311,677: John Deweese, Orthopedic Surgeon, Assistant PRofessor
- $286,478: John O’Neill, Administrator
Of the 5 most highly compensated individuals listed above, 4 are male (80%) while 1 is female (20%). It is also important to note the 20 trustees listed on the Form 990 are male.
Both organizations – SHC – Colorado and SHC – Mass – pay for first class travel for board members and executive staff when the flight is more than 2.5 hours. In addition, companion travel is paid for when the companion participates in Shriners business. And, lastly, temporary housing allowances are provided as a means to recruit employees.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2017) for SHC – Colorado, click here.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2017) for SHC – Mass, click here.