Executive Compensation at Susan G Komen (2017-2018)
The Susan G Komen organization is not just one organization managed by a small group of executives but two organizations:
- the Foundation (The Susan G Komen Women Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc) which is often referred to as the “parent” organization since it is largely supported by the local affiliates (68 in the US and 1 International affiliate that give approximately 25% of the net funds raised to support the Foundation) along with contributions through fundraising; and
- the Group (The Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, Group) which is the 69 affiliates that conduct more than 300 fundraising events annually.
Both organizations are 501 (c) (3)’s based out of the same office in Dallas, Texas. Although both organizations engage in similar functions – fundraising, grant making (research at the Foundation while screening, treatment, and education at the Group), and program services, think of Group as the consolidation of all the local affiliates while the Foundation as the parent organization. Consequently, there are the executives that manage the foundation and the individual CEO/Executive Directors that run the 69 affiliates.
The most highly compensated employees are at the Foundation where 245 individuals are employed (based on the IRS Form 990 covering the year beginning April 1, 2017 and ending March 30, 2018) and compensated $21.4 million (an average of $87,400 per employee). 49 individuals received more than $100,000 in compensation and include the following 14 most highly compensated staff who received $3.4 million:
- $407,295: Ellen Willmott, Interim CEO (end 10/17)
- $301,603: Christina Alford, SVP Development
- $295,193: Robert Green, CFO
- $271,623: Judith Salerno, Former President and CEO (severance package)
- $270,250: Catherine Olivieri, VP HR
- $240,796: Eric Montgomery, VP IT
- $214,559: Ria Williams, Controller
- $207,133: Victoria Wolodzko, VP Research and Com. Health PR
- $201,218: Andrea Rader, Senior Director, Com (end 4/18)
- $193,496: Subhendu Rath, Senior Director, IT Enterprise Systems
- $190,089: Adam Vanek, General Counsel and Asst Corp Secretary (beginning 4/17)
- $189,217: Lori Maris, SVP Affiliate Network
- $188,998: Vanessa Hewitt, Senior Director, Internal Audit
- $185,036: Kimberly Sabelko, Senior Director, Scientific Strategy
The former President and CEO, Judith Salerno stepped down in November, 2017 and was replaced by Paula Schneider who was compensated $143,310 for 5 months (until year-end March 30, 2018) which equates to approximately $29,000 a month or $348,000 annually. 10 of the 14 most highly compensated employees are female while 4 are male. 7 of the 10 most highly compensated employees are female while 3 are male.
Although the box that reports if the organization paid for first class or charter travel was not checked, the 990 reports:
Except as may be approved in advance for medical accommodation, first class and business class fares for domestic travel, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico are not reimbursable. However, personal frequent flier mileage and/or coupons may be used for no-cost upgrades. In the event of international travel with flight times of six hours or more, and pre-approval business or first class travel may be permitted if there is a medical accommodation or business purpose. Whenever possible, discounted first class and upgrades are used to minimize cost.
The IRS Form 990 (2017 covering the year beginning April 1, 2017 and ending March 30, 2018) reports the following information for the GROUP:
Each affiliate is independently responsible for determining the compensation of its CEO/Executive Director and key employees.
633 individuals were employed and compensated $26 million (an average of $41,100 per employee). 27 individuals received more than $100,000 in compensation and include the following most highly compensated staff:
- $187,584: Linda Tantawi, CEO – Greater NYC
- $164,148: Glen Peck, Sr Director Digital Communication, Greater NYC
- $163,497: Elaine Grobman, CEO – Philadelphia
- $160,000: Lori T Van Dam, CEO – Connecticut
- $158,627: Laura Farmer Sherman, President and CEO, San Diego (end 11/17)
- $157,243: Lisa Wolter, Executive Director – Orange County
- $157,211: Catherine D Stone, Executive Director – Greater Atlanta
- $150,000: Emelda Douglas, Executive Director – Houston (end 3/1)
- $129,572: Andrew Asato, CEO – Oregon and SW Washington
- $128,312: David Richart, Executive Director – Puget Sound
- $125,069: Judi A Steadman, Director of Development (end 3/18)
- $121,633: Kelly E Nagle, Executive Director – North Jersey
9 of the 12 most highly compensated employees are female while 3 are male.
To read the IRS Form 990’s (2017) for the year ending March 30, 2018, click here.