Executive Compensation at the American Nurses Association
The American Nurses Association (ANA) is a non-profit tax-exempt 501 (3) (6) – a professional association reprensenting nurses through the 54 mostly state constituent associations. Headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland, the ANA is part of a 3-prong enterprise (ANA Enterprise) that also includes the American Nurses Association Foundation (ANAF), a 501 (c) (3) and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), a 501 (c) (6).
The purpose of this post is the executive compensation at ANA. In 2017, ANA employed 255 individuals who were compensated $22 million, which equates to an average compensation of $86,000. 60 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 16 most highly compensated employees listed below:
- $442,897: Marla J Weston, Chief Executive Officer
- $268,205: Debra Hatmaker, Executive Director and EVP
- $261,052: Loressa Cole, Executive Director, ANCC
- $248,709: Vellore Gopinath, CIO
- $241,300: Nancy Robert, Chief Mkt Pro Officer and EVP
- $237,273: Alice Bodley, Chief Op Officer and EVP
- $215,256: Maureen Cones, Chief Legal Officer
- $213,824: Catherine Judge, Executive Director ANAF
- $210,804: Stephen Fox, VP Membership
- $202,905: Pamela Cipriano, BC President
- $195,761: Donna Grande, VP Products and Services
- $194,130: Michael Pfeiffer, CFO (until 6/17)
- $191,369: Michelle Artz, Director, Gov’t Affairs
- $189,310: Cheryl Peterson, VP Nursing Programs
- $185,974: Jacqueline Conrad, VP Marketing and BD
- $182,550: Denise Bailey Clark, VP, HR and OD
The 16 employees listed above were compensated $3.7 million, which equates to an average compensation of $231,250. 2 of the 16 (13%) most highly compensated employees are male while 14 of the 16 (87%) are female.
Michael Pfeiffer, the CFO until June, 2017 received a severance payment of $52,955.
43 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation. The five most highly compensated were:
- $1,531,641: Marketing General, Inc of Alexandria, VA for marketing and communication
- $1,511,996: Raffa PC of Washington, DC for accounting services
- $1,144,754: Amaze of Manchester, Great Britain for digital marketing, tech, and commerce
- $ 984,780: Healthcom Media of Doylestown, PA for publishing
- $ 701,609: Outsource IT of La Plata, MD for information technology
To read the IRS Form 990 (2017), click here.