Executive Compensation at Intermountain Healthcare (2017)
Intermountain Healthcare refers to a large healthcare system (22 hospitals and nearly 200 clinics) based in Salt Lake City, Utah. Although there are numerous non-profits under the Intermountain Healthcare system, the primary entities include IHC Health Services, Inc. and the Intermountain Healthcare Foundation, Inc. – both of whom operate out of the same office.
In short, IHC Health Services, Inc. reported $6 billion in revenue in 2017. Expenses were $5.5 billion (including $277 million in depreciation) which helped the organization (along with nearly $400 million in net unrealized gains on investments) to increase the general fund (or net fund assets) by nearly $1 billion in 2017 from $5.6 billion to $6.5 billion.
In 2017, IHC Health Services, Inc. employed 44,323 individuals who were compensated nearly $2.8 billion, which equates to an average compensation of $63,200.
4,209 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 28 most highly compensated employees listed below:
- $3,012,030: Marc Harrison, Trustee/President/CEO
- $2,338,867: Albert R Zimmerli, EVP/CFO/SEC/TREAS
- $1,695,436: Eric Hooley, MD, Surgery Orthopedic
- $1,556,395: Travis Hendrey, MD, Surgery Orthopedic
- $1,524,669: Robert W Allen, SVP/COO (partial year)
- $1,505,936: Gregory P Poulsen, SVP
- $1,444,569: Mark R Briesacher, SVP
- $1,373,148: Benjamin Fox, MD, Neurosurgery
- $1,366,389: Jeffrey Harrison, MD, Surgery Orthopedic
- $1,335,852: Moody L Chisholm, VP (partial year)
- $1,316,502: Marc C Probst, VP
- $1,281,795: Casey Bachison, MD Surgery/Orthopedic
- $1,116,945: Charles W Sorenson, Jr (former officer)
- $1,104,283: Steven R Smoot, VP (partial year)
- $1,064,701: Terri L Kane, VP (partial year)
- $1,060,794: Timothy T Pehrson, VP (partial year)
- $1,000,624: Douglas J Hammer, VP General Counsel
- $ 905,922: David L Flood, VP/Chief Development Officer
- $ 896,782: Gregory M Johnson, VP
- $ 867,815: Joseph D Fournier, SVP (partial year)
- $ 858,339: Kimberly Henrichsen, SVP
- $ 814,143: Laura S Kaiser, EVP/COO (partial year)
- $ 804,785: Mark A Runyon, VP
- $ 795,484: Daniel L Zuhlke, SVP (partial year)
- $ 784,356: Jacque Millard, VP
- $ 663,741: Mikelle Moore, SVP (partial year)
- $ 449,450: Todd E Craghead, VP
- $ 402,897: Linda C Beckman, VP (partial year)
22 of the 28 (79%) of the most highly compensated employees are male while 6 (21%) are female. The 10 most highly compensated employees are male.
IHC Health Services paid for first class travel and companion travel. In addition, health or social club dues or initiation fees were paid for by IHC Health Services. A housing allowance or a residence for personal use was also paid for by the organization. IHC Health Services provided tax indemnification and gross up payments. See Schedule J, Part III Supplemental Information on the IRS Form 990 (link below) for more detail on these expenses.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2017), click here.