Executive Compensation at Mercy Health (Cincinnati, OH)
Mercy Health is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501 (c) (3) healthcare provider in eight (8) regions (Cincinnati, Toledo, Youngstown, Springfield, Lima, Lorain, Northern Kentucky, and Paducah) in Ohio and Kentucky through 23 hospitals and hundreds of clinics, urgent care, and medical center locations. Although Mercy Health consists of dozens of affiliated and related organizations, the purpose of this post is the executive compensation as reported on the Form 990 (2017) submitted by Mercy Health to the IRS. However, it is important to note the following information about Mercy Health:
Mercy Health had total revenue of $4.5 billion in 2017, most of which ($4.1 billion) came from patient services.
Expenses were $4.3 billion (including $277 million in depreciation) with the two largest expenses being compensation ($2.3 billion) and medical supplies ($743 million).
Excess revenue over expenses was nearly $200 million. These funds, along with $110 million in unrealized gains on investments and $108 million in other changes to assets were allocated to the general fund (which is also referred to as the endowment) which increased from $2.7 billion at the beginning of the year to $3.1 billion at year-end.
39,629 employees received $2.3 billion, which equates to an average compensation of $59,000. 2,337 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 32 most highly compensated employees (including 2 employees compensated from an affiliated organization marked in bold) reported to be:
- $5,580,929: John Starcher, Jr, President and CEO
- $3,090,339: Michael D Connelly, Former President and CEO
- $2,444,359: Brian Smith, EVP, COO
- $2,200,308: Judson Ivy, President Ensemble RMC LLC
- $1,964,692: Deborah Bloomfield, Treasurer and CFO
- $1,815,374: Zoheir Abdelbaki, Physician
- $1,757,479: Anton Decker, Chief Clinical Officer
- $1,672,624: Michael Bezney, Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel
- $1,643,215: William Woods, Physician
- $1,608,271: Craig A Nicholson, Physician
- $1,533,008: Robert Baxter, President/CEO Toledo and Lima Regions, SVP Mercy Health
- $1,514,730: Michael W Garfield, Presdient/CEO Cincinnati Region, SVP Mercy Health
- $1,452,042: Kenechukwu Ugokwe, Physician
- $1,439,735: Wes Joseph Holiday, Physician
- $1,343,472: Donald Kline, President and CEO Youngstown Region, SVP Mercy Health
- $1,195,420: Rebecca Sykes, SVP, CIO
- $1,025,979: Jerome Judd, SVP, Treasury and Investments
- $ 868,401: Joseph Gage, Jr, Chief HR Officer
- $ 862,138: Jane Crowley, Former EVP and Chief Transformation Officer
- $ 834,399: Edwin Oley, President/CEO Lorain Region, SVP Mercy Health
- $ 789,053: Paul Hiltz, Former President/CEO Springfield Region, SVP Mercy Health
- $ 730,615: Mathew Caldwell, President/CEO Springfield Region, SVP Mercy Health
- $ 681,552: Michael Yungmann, President/CEO Kentucky Region, SVP Mercy Health
- $ 636,072: Jeffrey Copeland, SVP, Business Development
- $ 599,622: Thomas Golias, Chief Managed Care
- $ 542,631: David A Cannady, Chief Strategy Officer
- $ 539,412: Sandra D Mackey, Chief Marketing Officer
- $ 412,541: Yousuf Jamal Ahmad, Former President/CEO Cincinnati Region, SVP Mercy Health
- $ 348,829: Brent Asplin, Former SVP, Clinical Officer
- $ 298,834: Joseph Cardone, SVP Mission and Values Integration
- $ 268,327: Imran Andrabi, President/CEO Toledo Region, SVP Mercy Health
- $ 257,023: James May, Former Key Employee
28 of the 32 (88%) most highly compensated employees are male while 4 of the 32 (12%) are female. 9 of the 10 most highly compensated employees are male while 1 is a female.
Mercy Health paid for companion travel, health or social club dues or initiation fees, personal services, gross up payments and tax indemnifications. Specifically, companion travel was provided for a board member. A tax indemnification benefit was provided to 5 key employees for moving expenses. Mercy Health paid for part of the monthly dues for the Mercy Healthplex facilities (a related health club) for one key employee and one former key employee, although this benefit is available to all employees. Legal and tax return preparation services were provided to one officer.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2017), click here.
Comments are closed.