Executive Compensation at Methodist Health System (Dallas, TX)
Methodist Hospitals of Dallas, dba as Methodist Health System, is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501 (c) (3) that provides healthcare in 93 locations in north central Texas through 7 hospitals (note: the website shows 10 hospitals but the Form 990 shows 7 hospitals), medical centers, specialty centers, clinics, and medical groups Key information taken from the Form 990 (2016 for the year ending September 30, 2017) about Methodist Health System include the following details.
Methodist Health System had $1.45 billion in net assets at year-end, up from $1.32 billion at the beginning of the year. This increase is primarily due to excess revenue over expenses ($68 million) – they didn’t spend as much as they earned – and net unrealized gains on investments ($53 million).
In 2017, total revenue was $1.3 billion with nearly all revenue coming from patient care. Expenses totaled $1.25 billion (including $83 million in depreciation). The largest expense was compensation which totaled $601 million (about 50% of revenue which is typical in this industry) for 8,928 employees, which translates to an average compensation of $67,300. However, compensation varies widely with the 16 most highly compensated employees listed below (note: this list only includes employees of the Methodist Hospitals of Dallas, dba as Methodist Health System and does not include the employees of other related/affiliated organizations within the Methodist Health System: See Schedule R, Part VII for a list of other organizations):
- $2,592,506: Stephen L Mansfield, President and CEO
- $1,308,777: Pamela Stoyanoff, EVP, COO
- $1,152,272: Michael J Schaefer, Treasurer, Asst Secy, CFO, EVP
- $1,022,561: Laura Irvine, EVP System Alignment (thru 7/2017)
- $ 794,906: Michael Price, Asst Secy, Chief Legal Officer
- $ 771,221: Pamela McNutt, SVP and CIO
- $ 682,630: Martin L Koonsman, President, Methodist Dallas Medical Center (MDMC)
- $ 649,175: E Kenneth Hutchenrider, Jr, President, Methodist Richardson Medical Center (MRMC)
- $ 608,713: April Box Chamberlain, CEO, Foundation
- $ 601,554: George Williams, President, Medhealth, SVP
- $ 593,718: John Phillips, President, Methodist Mansfield Medical Center (MMMC)
- $ 570,765: Cheryl Flynn, SVP, Chief Human Resources Officer
- $ 520,445: Frances Laukaitis, President, Methodist Charlton Medical Center (MCMC)
- $ 460,902: Brian Kenjarski, VP, Medical Informatics, CMIO
- $ 329,646: Karla Ramberger, SVP, System CNO
- $ 248,028: Robert P Milone, Asst Treasurer, AVP
The 16 most highly compensated employees received more than $12 million. 10 of the 16 (63%) most highly compensated employees are males while 6 of the 16 (37%) are female.
Methodist Health System made a loan for $365,711 to Stephen Mansfield, the President and CEO for “split dollar life insurance” for payment of premiums. The balance due is $365,711.
Methodist Health System provided a discretionary spending account (amount not provided) to Stephen Mansfield, President and CEO of various incidental business expenses, the amount of which is treated as taxable compensation.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2016 for the year ending September 30, 2017), click here.
Comments are closed.