Executive Compensation at OhioHealth
OhioHealth is a non-profit, tax-exempt healthcare system with a network of 12 hospitals and more than 200 healthcare sites among 47 counties in Ohio. An outreach of the United Methodist Church, OhioHealth has about 33,000 employees in dozens of affiliated organizations (non-profits, taxable partnerships, corporations, and trusts) that work within the system known as OhioHealth.
This post addresses the executive compensation at two organizations within OhioHealth:
- OhioHealth Corporation Group Return (OHCG)
- OhioHealth Corporation Grant Riverside Doctors Dublin Met (OHC)
Total revenue was $3.2 billion (for the year ending June 30, 2018) which came primarily from 4 sources: health and medical services ($1.5 billion), medicare and medicaid ($1.1 billion), intracompany administration ($221 million), and investment income/gain on the sale of assets ($215 million).
Expenses totaled $2.6 billion (not including $127 million in depreciation), most of which were compensation ($1.5 billion), medical supplies ($447 million), fees for services ($292 million), and office-related and maintenance expenses ($256 million).
OHC had $528 million in unspent revenue at year-end which was added to the general fund bringing the year-end net assets to $4.2 billion (compared to $3.7 billion at the beginning of the year).
Total revenue was $1.3 billion (for the year ending June 30, 2018) which came primarily from 3 sources: Medicare and Medicaid ($699 million), health and medical services ($434 million), and intracompany administration ($140 million).
Expenses totaled $1.4 billion (not including $61 million in depreciation), most of which were compensation ($934 million), medical supplies ($139 million), fees for services ($120 million), and office-related and maintenance expenses ($93 million).
OHCG posted a $100 million loss which was partially offset by investment income and changes in other assets. Net assets were $696 million at year-end (compared to $727 million at the beginning of the year).
OHC and OHCG Employee Compensation
The largest expense for both organizations is compensation.
22,891 employees of OHC received $1.5 billion in compensation, which equates to an average compensation of nearly $66,000. 1,298 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation.
7,510 employees of OHCG received $934 million in compensation, which equates to an average compensation of more than $124,000. 1,023 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation.
Many of the 59 most highly compensated employees are listed on both Form 990’s as receivers of compensation from one or both of the organizations above or of another affiliated but unnamed organization (see brackets next to the employee’s name and title):
- $4,084,450: David P Blom, President/CEO/Board-OhioHealth (OHC)
- $3,340,072: Robert P Millen, Former EVP and COO (ended 12/14) (OHC)
- $3,049,367: Gregory Balturshot, (OHCG)
- $2,517,972: Michael W Louge, EVP and COO (OHC)
- $1,677,355: Stephen E Markovich, SVP Acute Care Ops (OHC)
- $1,542,113: Bruce Vanderhoff, SVP and Chief Medical Officer OH (OHC)
- $1,399,134: Michael S Bernstein, Former VP and CSO (ended 9/15) (OHC)
- $1,388,414: Vinson M Yates, SVP and CFO (OHC)
- $1,254,015: Michael T Krouse, SVP, Chief Information Officer (OHC)
- $1,129,298: John C Beckel, SVP and Senior HR Officer (OHC)
- $1,103,831: Mitchell Silver, Board (start 8/17) (OHCG)
- $1,083,750: Cheryl L Herbert-Sinden, SVP, Regional Operations (OHC)
- $1,054,671: Karen J Morrison, SVP External Affairs (OHC)
- $1,037,714: Hugh A Thornhill, President OPG (OHC)
- $1,035,543: Peter George (OHC and OHCG)
- $1,011,648: Karanvir Grewal, Board (start 7/17) (OHCG)
- $1,009,103: Bruce P Hagen, President, MGH (OHC)
- $ 997,973: Nathan B VanLaningham, SVP of Finance (ended 2/18) (OHC)
- $ 961,445: Brian Jepson, Board
- $ 934,762: Teresa L Caulin-Glaser, Chair Board
- $ 929,540: Donna L Hanly, SVP and Senior Nursing Executive (OHC)
- $ 909,404: Judson S Milhon, Board (OHCG)
- $ 871,235: Michael Richfield, Board
- $ 861,878: Janet Bay, Board (OHCG)
- $ 831,506: Michael S Lawson, Board
- $ 776,020: Jessica L Quinn, SVP, Chief Compliance Officer (OHC)
- $ 768,157: Ray Waslewski, Board (OHCG)
- $ 727,425: Arash Arshi, Board (OHCG)
- $ 721,563: Robert Crowell, Board (start 7/17) (OHCG)
- $ 707,182: Amy Imm, Board
- $ 670,616: Stephen P Bunyard, Board
- $ 654,778: Douglas Knutson, Vice Chair Board
- $ 653,300: Terri W Meldrum, SVP and General Counsel (OHC)
- $ 648,835: Vincent Romanelli, OH Board (start 1//18) (OHCG)
- $ 617,447: Thomas Harmon, Board
- $ 594,044: James O’Brien, Jr., Board (start 8/17)
- $ 590,710: Richard L Letmuth, Board (end 3/18)
- $ 534,099: Curtis Gingrich, Board
- $ 515,043: Antonio Collazo, Board (OHCG)
- $ 490,691: Peter Bury, Board (end 4/18)
- $ 473,478: Barbara Evert, Board (end 3/18)
- $ 466,151: Mathew Moorman, Board (OHCG)
- $ 465,732: Connie Gallaher, Board
- $ 464,548: Joseph Geskey, Board
- $ 461,282: Frank Ferris, Board
- $ 451,176: Charles von Gunten, Board
- $ 406,720: Heather Brandon, Board
- $ 405,680: John P Niles, Board
- $ 395,273: Jeffrey Smith, Board (start 4/18)
- $ 379,942: Sanjay Vora, Board (OHCG)
- $ 323,165: Geraldine Urse, Board (OHCG)
- $ 286,787: Todd Weihl, Board OH (ended 12/17) (OHCG)
- $ 282,217: Ronald P Snyder, President Board
- $ 277,928: Michael Joseph Abel, Board
- $ 244,799: Jeffrey Neuhauser, Board (OHCG)
- $ 243,648: Frank T Pandora, Former VP and General Counsel (ended 1/14) (OHC)
- $ 241,389: Charles Gossman, Board (start 4/18)
- $ 233,943: Katherine E Johnson, Chair Board (OHCG)
- $ 200,126: John Rudy, Board
46 of the 59 (78%) most highly compensated employees are male while 13 of the 59 (22%) are female. The 10 most highly compensated employees are male.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018) for OHC, click here.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018) for OHCG, click here.