Executive Compensation at the National Student Clearinghouse
The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is a tax-exempt, non-profit and non-governmental organization (a 501 (c) 4) that counts itself as the leading provider of educational reporting, data exchange, verification, and research services for nearly 14,000 high schools (representing 70% of secondary students enrolled) and 4,000 colleges and universities (representing 99% of students enrolled).
Based in Herndon, Virginia, NSC is governed by a board of directors (15) from educational institutions, associations, and finance. In the most general terms, NSC raises about $60 million annually (primarily from verification, transcript, research, and enrollment verification services), spends about $60 million annually, and has about $25 million in net assets. So, NSC is a small non-profit whose primary expense is compensation for the employees.
321 employees received $37 million in compensation, which equates to an average compensation of $115,000. However, only 108 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 15 most highly compensated employees reported to be:
- $747,788: Ricardo D Torres, President and CEO
- $396,566: Jonell Sanchez, VP Education Services
- $365,592: Michael Ketcham, VP, CFO, and Treasurer
- $344,764: Mary Chapin, VP and Chief Legal Officer, Corporate Sect’y
- $338,973: Douglas Falk, VP and Chief Information Officer
- $326,384: Lawrence Hatch, VP, Industry and Workforce Services
- $324,345: George Levathes, VP, Compliance and Education
- $319,074: Bridget Sedlock, Managing Director, Corp Services
- $315,724: David G Landry, Managing Director, Solutions Delivery
- $311,131: Roberta Hyland, Chief Data Officer
- $291,889: John Ramsey, Managing Director, CISO
- $270,343: Nancy Penna, Mgr, Business Development
- $267,595: Douglas Shapiro, Executive Research Director
- $239,910: Lan Qian, Solutions Architect
- $231,332: William Wallen, Sr Specialist, Business Development
As illustrated above, the 15 most highly compensated employees received more than $5 million, which equates to an average compensation of $333,000.
11 of the 15 (73%) most highly compensated employees are male while 4 of the 15 (27%) are female.
NSC paid for companion travel. See Schedule J, Part III Supplemental Information for more detail.
Ricardo Torres participated($100,000) in a supplemental non qualified retirement plan:
8 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the five highest listed below:
- $1,338,183: GSDS Group, Inc., of McLean, VA for IT consulting
- $1,208,179: Aptude, Inc. of Naperville, IL for IT consulting
- $ 775,115: Talascend, LLC, of Detroit, MI for IT consulting
- $ 650,889: CC Pace, Inc., of Fairfax, VA for IT consulting
- $ 601,426: Convergent, of McLean, VA for IT consulting
More than $4.5 million was spent on IT consulting.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018), click here.