Executive Compensation at Planned Parenthood
Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc. is generally referred to as “Planned Parenthood” and known to provide reproductive healthcare in the US and globally. Although Planned Parenthood is often in the news over women’s reproductive rights and specifically, abortion rights, the organization provides general healthcare, birth control, patient education, pregnancy testing, STD testing, treatment, and vaccines, women’s services, LGBT services, and men’s services.There are 33 independent voting members (directors) of the governing body (board of directors) although there are 37 listed on the Form 990 (which appears to be due to timing differences). 32 of the 37 (86%) are female while 5 of the 37 (14%) are male (although it is important to note this is just an estimate based on names and google search since gender identification is not specified on a Form 990).
In 2020, Planned Parenthood reported total revenue of $294 million (compared to $286 million the prior year), most of which came from contributions, gifts, and grants. Expenses totaled $337 million (not including $4 million in depreciation) with the two largest expenses reported to be grants ($166 million or 56% of revenue) and compensation ($78 million or 27% of revenue).
733 employees received $78 million in compensation which equates to an average compensation of $106,000. However, only 226 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation, with the 15 most highly compensated reported to be:
- $1,284,459: Leanna Wen, President (12/18-7/19)
- $1,151,786: Dawn Laguens, Senior Advisor*
- $ 648,812: Jethro Miller, Chief Development Officer*
- $ 537,969: Melvin Galloway, COO*
- $ 535,128: Kimberly Custer, EVP, Healthcare
- $ 438,858: Dannette S Hill, Chief HR Officer
- $ 427,607: Vickie Barrow-Klein, CFO*
- $ 404,957: Kristin Rceczowski, Chief of Staff (until 8/19)*
- $ 393,881: Lyric Chen, Sr Strategic Advisor (until 8/19)*
- $ 385,263: Franklin C Rosado, Chief Technology Officer
- $ 338,433: Chiko Scozzafava, Chief Security Officer
- $ 337,611: Alexis McGill Johnson, Acting President*
- $ 276,903: Debra Alligood White, SVP and General Counsel (until 6/19)*
- $ 224,093: Jay Meisel, VP and Interim General Counsel *
- $ 177,970: Abigail Smith, Interim CFO (until 6/19)*
A “*” indicates a portion of the compensation was from a related/affiliated organization. There was significant turnover, including the President who served for 7 months before being released by the Board. For information on severance packages and retirement plan contributions, please see the Form 990, Schedule J, Part III, Supplemental Information .
10 of the 15 (67%) most highly compensated employees are male while 5 of the 15 (33%) are female (note: the Form 990 does not require gender identification. Hence, the determination was made based on name and google search).
Comments are closed.