Executive Compensation at Boys Town (2019)
Boys Town refers to a non-profit, tax-exempt organization focused on helping children and their families but the “organization” is actually many non-profit, tax-exempt organizations with one member: Father Flanagans Boys Home (FFBH) who controls and provides oversight to all the affiliates.
Based in Boys Town, Nebraska, FFBH has two research hospitals (west and east) and 10 non-hospital health care facilities. However, FFBH has affiliate organizations that also provide services in Nebraska, Iowa, Louisiana, Nevada, Washington, DC, Florida, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, the Boys Town organizations reach across the US.
The controlling entity – FFBH – raises about $370 million annually, spends about $330 million annually and has about $1.4 billion in net assets.
In addressing compensation, FFBH (and only FFBH with no other compensation of the affiliated entities reported here) reported having 3,934 employees who received $198 million (51% of revenue) in compensation in 2018, which equates to an average compensation of $50,000. 274 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 17 most highly compensated employees reported to be:
- $1,081,526: Kelli Jo Shidler, Physician
- $ 781,286: Philip J Rudin, EVP, Investments, Chief Investments Officer
- $ 696,251: Richard M Tempero, Physician
- $ 638,197: Robert R Pick, EVP, Director of Youth Care
- $ 628,258: Michael J Eglseder, VP, Investments, Assistant Treasurer
- $ 611,693: Jane M Emanuel, Physician
- $ 577,223: Shahab T Abdessalam, Physician
- $ 567,091: Mara P Paradis, Physician
- $ 556,144: Edward M Kolb, EVP, Healthcare
- $ 387,859: Judy F Rasmussen, EVP, Finance and Administration, Treasurer, and CF
- $ 353,940: Rodney Kempkes, COO
- $ 323,002: Dana E Washington, SVP, General Counsel
- $ 332,988: Steven E Boes, President and National Executive Director
- $ 274,897: John K Arch, EVP, Healthcare, Director of Boys Town National Research Hospital
- $ 233,388: Barbara J Vollmer, SVP, Gov’t Strategy, Corp Advancement, Secretary
- $ 183,912: Monty Horine, SVP, Corp Secrtary (starting April, 2019)
- $ 153,615: James L Beckmann, Assistant Corporate Secretary
9 of the 17 (60%) most highly compensated employees are male while 6 of the 15 (40%) are female, including the most highly compensated employee, Kelli Jo Shidler. 6 of the 10 most highly compensated employees are male while 4 are female.
A discretionary spending allowance and a residence for personal use is provided to Steven Boes, the CEO and Executive Director.
Philip J Ruden participated in a supplemental non-qualified retirement plan, in the amount of $14,082 which was not included in taxable compensation.
53 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation. The five most highly compensated independent contractors were reported to be:
- $1,281,949: Innovative Urology Services, of Omaha, NE for fluoroscopy and Lithotripsy
- $1,043,377: UNMC Physicians, of Omaha, NE for pathology
- $ 961,803: Ahead, LLC of Chicago, IL for Service Now implementation
- $ 532,148: Kahn Consulting, of Highland Park, IL for record and information consulting
- $ 468,546: CHI Health, of Omaha, NE for food services
To read the IRS Form 990 (2019), click here.