Skip to content

May 3, 2022

Executive Compensation at the Alzheimer’s Association (2021)

by Anne Paddock

The Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders Association is commonly referred to as the Alzheimer’s Association. A tax-exempt, non-profit 501 (c) 3 whose goal is to eliminate Alzheimers Disease through research but also offer support, information/public awareness, and education on the disease, the Alzheimer’s Association raised $405 million in 2021 (compared to $403 million in 2020 and $390 million in 2019), primarily from contributions, gifts, and grants ($377 million including $26 million from the government).

Expenses totaled $366 million (including $4 million in depreciation)  representing 90% of revenue (the remaining 10% or $39 million was allocated to the general fund).

The largest expense for the Alzheimer’s Association is compensation for the 2,405 employees who received $183 million, which equates to an average compensation of $76,000.  272 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 10 most highly compensated employees reported to be:

  • $1,020,006:  Harry Johns, President and CEO
  • $  759,728:  Donna McCullough, Chief Field and Development Officer
  • $  715,169:  Katherine “Joanne” Pike, Chief Strategy Officer
  • $  693,396:  Richard Hovland, COO and Assistant Treasurer
  • $  638,275:  Maria Carrillo, Chief Science Officer
  • $  623,666:  Robert Egge, Chief Public Policy Officer
  • $  547,313:  Glenda Berry, West Area Leader
  • $  542,303:  Kenann Cassidy, East Area Leader
  • $  428,883:  Michelle Helton, CFO
  • $  311,610:  Christine Foh, Assistant Secretary and VP Legal, and GC

As illustrated above, the 10 most highly compensated employees received $6 million in compensation. 7 of the 10 most highly compensated employees are female while 3 are male. It is also important to point out there are 29 independent directors on the Board of Directors although 35 are listed on the Form 990 (due to timing differences).  21 of the 35 (60%) are male while 14 of the 35 are female.

Harry Johns, the President and CEO was the most highly compensated employee in 2021. Over the past 5 years, Mr Johns received $6.5 million in compensation:

  • 2021:  $1,020,006
  • 2020:  $1,352,901
  • 2019:  $1,014,248
  • 2018:  $1,980,687
  • 2017:  $1,118,540

The Alzheimer’s Association paid for companion travel. See the Form 990, Schedule J, Part III, Supplemental Information for more details and for information on retirement plan contributions.

Donna McCullough received a $100,000 retention payment in 2020.

107 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the five most highly compensated reported to be:

  • $11.1 million:  Navistar Direct Marketing, of Frederick, MD for direct marketing
  • $ 4.8 million:  Haworth Marketing and Media, LLC, of Minneapolis, MN for advertising
  • $ 4.3 million:  Never Without, LLC of Atlanta, GA for advertising
  • $ 3.5 million:  World-Wide Printing and Distribution, of Tulsa OK for direct marketing
  • $ 2.5 million:  Blackbaud, of Atlanta, GA for CRM/Technology

As illustrated above, the largest independent contractors were used for direct marketing and advertising.

To read the IRS Form 990 (2020), click here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: