Executive Compensation at the ChildFund
ChildFund International USA (ChildFund) is one of 12 organizations in the ChildFund Alliance that partners with local organizations in 24 countries to provide children with basic needs: food, healthcare, and education. A tax-exempt, non-profit 501 (c) 3 based in Richmond, VA, ChildFund has 17 independent voting members (directors) on its governing body (Board of Directors) with 9 females and 8 males.
In 2020, ChildFund reported total revenue of $198 million (compared to $196 million in 2019) most of which came from contributions, gifts and grants. Expenses totaled $179 million (not including $4 million in depreciation) with the two largest expenses reported to be grants ($117 million) and compensation $31 million).
211 employees received $31 million in compensation, which equates to an average compensation of $147,000. However, only 38 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation. The 7 most highly compensated are reported to be:
- $430,352: Anne Goddard, President
- $286,099: James Tuite, VP, CFO
- $270,347: Adam Hicks, Chief Development and Marketing Officer
- $259,178: Naomi Rutherberg, VP, Programs and Partnerships
- $248,200: Cheryl Dahl, Director, Brand Marketing and Communications
- $242,825: Scott Sherman, VP, Global Human Resources
- $224,253: Jeremy Willet, Public Speaker
The 7 most highly compensated employees received nearly $2 million in compensation which means the other 204 employees received $29 million in compensation. 31 of the 204 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation (but less than $224,000 listed above). If those 31 employees each received $220,000 or $7 million collectively, then the remaining 173 employees received $22 million or an average of $127,000 which is not possible given that only 38 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation.
39 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the five most highly compensated reported to be:
- $8.0 million: Thriving Children Advocates, of Brentwood, TN for consulting
- $2.0 million: Dialogue Direct, of New York, NY for consulting
- $1.9 million: ISandbox, of Richmond, VA for consulting
- $1.4 million: Ascenta Group, of New York, NY for consulting
- $0.9 million: Britebox, of San Diego, CA for fundraising
As illustrated above, ChildFund spent more than $14 million on consulting with independent contractors – most of whom appear to provide fundraising consulting.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2019 for the year ending June 30, 2020), click here.