Sweetie Beans Many Cake Cake Mix
Sweetie Beans Many Cake Cake Mix is a gluten-free and vegan blend of ingredients – primarily white rice flour, sugar, tapioca starch, potato starch and potato flour – that serves as a base to make truly delicious cakes. Several months ago at a convention for health products, I was drawn to a booth with a crowd of people vying for samples of a variety of large sheet cakes – chocolate, spice, vanilla, and more.
I stepped up to the table and tasted the pumpkin spice cake and couldn’t believe it was gluten-free and vegan. Moist and delicious, the spice cake tasted like a “normal” cake (one made with eggs and butter). The chocolate cake was also moist with a deep dark chocolate flavor. Both cakes had remarkable texture and flavor – two attributes that are often compromised in gluten-free and vegan products.
In many vegan recipes, butter is replaced with oil which doesn’t necessarily mean the cake will be healthier so when I asked the makers of Sweetie Beans about the oil, they told me the recipe for each cake only calls for 1/4 cup of canola oil. Instead of copious amounts of oil, a variety of healthy alternative ingredients are used to make the cakes. Nearly every cake calls for unsweetened applesauce and water. From there, the recipe varies depending on the flavor. For a chocolate cake, cocoa and chocolate chips are added; the pumpkin crumb cake calls for pumpkin and a blend of spices; and for a lemon cake, lemon zest is added.
Sweetie Beans has a list of recipes for a variety of cakes, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, and treats on their website www.sweetiebeans.net. One of my favorite recipes is for the Pumpkin Crumb Cake which is a moist pumpkin cake with New York style crumb topping (that is also made by blending Sweetie Beans mix with brown sugar, a tablespoon of canola oil and a teaspoon of water). Sweet and delicious, the Pumpkin Crumb Cake is ideal during the holiday season. The recipe is reprinted below:
- 2 cups Sweetie Beans Many Cake Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup packaged pumpkin (I use Fig Foods Organic Pumpkin which is sold in a pouch and available at Whole Foods)
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
Crumb Topping Ingredients
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Sweetie Beans Many Cake Cake Mix
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- Blend all the cake ingredients together and pour into a greased 8 x 8 glass pan.
- For the crumb topping, blend the brown sugar, Sweetie Beans mix, and canola oil. Add the water slowly by the drop. Blend together and crumble the topping on the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake in a 325 degree oven for 35-40 minutes (I’ve cooked the cake for 35 and 40 minutes and prefer the 40 minute version).
- Cool completely before cutting.
To purchase Sweetie Bean Many Cake Cake Mix on-line, go to www.amazon.com where a 20 ounce bag (makes approximately 2 cakes) is $8.99 with free shipping for Prime members.