New England Corn Chowder (Vegan)
A large bowl of hot soup is hard to beat on a cold dreary day. Providing warmth and satisfaction, soup nourishes our senses in so many ways. The aroma draws us to the table while our eyes are seduced by the steam drifting up above the bowl. And, then there is the flavor and texture: usually a combination of earthy vegetables that come together in a broth that can be enjoyed in its simplicity. Add a crusty loaf of bread and a green garden salad and the meal is complete.
The trick to making a great tasting bowl of soup lies in the complexity of flavors which Stonewall Kitchen does with its New England Corn Chowder Mix: a blend of long grain white rice, non-GMO corn, carrots, onions, red bell peppers, potatoes, celery, and chives. No added salt and no emulsifiers or fillers: just rice, vegetables, and herbs. Low in sodium (15 mg per serving), the New England Corn Chowder Mix goes from the pantry to the table in less than an hour (with most of that time devoted to the soup cooking).
The secret to making this non-dairy soup creamy is to use a nut-based milk. Choose among unsweetened cashew or almond milk. The following recipe serves approximately 8 (bowls) or 12 (cups).
New England Corn Chowder (vegan)
- 1 6.5 ounce packet Stonewall Kitchen Corn Chowder Mix*
- 12 ounces of small yukon gold or red potatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces (skin left on)
- 1 15.25 ounce can of Trader Joe’s Whole Kernel Corn, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- chopped avocado and tomato (optional)
- Place the vegetable broth, water, and chopped potato pieces in a large soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the cashew or almond milk and cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove the soup pot from the heat.
- Add the corn kernels and stir to blend.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with chopped avocado and tomatoes before serving (optional).
*Stonewall Kitchen New England Corn Chowder Mix can be purchased at Stonewall retail locations, at fine grocery stores, or on-line at the company website: www.stonewallkitchen.com, or www.soap.com for about $8.99. To find a retail location, use the company locator service by clicking here.
Comments are closed.