Executive Compensation at Disabled American Veterans (DAV)
The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) organization is a 501 (c) (4) – a social welfare organization – that was created by Congress in 1920 to assist disabled military veterans and their families. Based in Cold Spring, Kentucky, DAV provides services nationwide to disabled veterans through staff, national service offices and more than 1,300 local chapters.
With more than a million members (who pay $0-$250 for a lifetime of assistance and benefits), DAV is the largest disabled veteran assistance organization in the country. But, its important to note membership dues only brought in about $7 million in 2017 (about 5% of revenue; most revenue – $108 million out of $137 million raised – came from contributions).
In 2017, DAV reported employing 741 individuals who were compensated $50 million, which equates to an average compensation of $67,500. 34 individuals received more than $100,000 with the 8 most highly compensated individuals listed below:
- $550,524: J Mark Burgess, National Adjutant/CEO/Secretary
- $412,104: Barry A Jesinoski, Executive Director, National Headquarters
- $337,066: Susan Loth, Sr. Chief Development Officer
- $318,819: Anita Blum, Comptroller
- $304,459: Christopher Clay, General Counsel
- $290,419: Edward R Reese, Jr., National Human Resources Director
- $290,392: Brian Cowart, Chief Development Officer
- $286,282: Garry Augustine, Executive Director, National LHQ
6 of the 8 (75%) most highly compensated individuals are male, while 2 of the 8 (25%) are female.
The IRS Form 990 reports DAV paid for first class travel (although supplemental information indicates none of the 8 employees listed above met the criteria in 2017), companion travel (although supplemental information indicates none of the 8 employees listed above had companion travel paid for), and a discretionary spending account which paid for lodging, meals, and other expenses for national commanders. In 2017, David W Riley received $131,855 and Delphine Metcalf-Foster received $93,145.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2017), click here.