Executive Compensation at Intermountain Healthcare
Intermountain Healthcare refers to a large healthcare system (22 hospitals and nearly 200 clinics) based in Salt Lake City, Utah. Although there are numerous non-profits under the Intermountain Healthcare system, the primary entities include IHC Health Services, Inc. and the Intermountain Healthcare Foundation, Inc. – both of whom operate out of the same office.
IHC Health Services, Inc. reported $5.6 billion in revenue in 2016. Expenses were $5.1 billion (including $263 million in depreciation) which helped the organization (along with net unrealized gains on investments) to increase the general fund (or net fund assets) by $600 million in 2016 from $5.1 billion to $5.6 billion. The increase would have been more had IHC Health Services,Inc. not transferred $150 million to an affiliate and fund $63 million in post retirement benefits.
In 2016, IHC Health Services, Inc. employed 43,453 individuals who were compensated nearly $2.7 billion, which equates to an average compensation of $62,100. 3,836 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the most highly compensated employees listed below.
- $2,749,420: Albert R Zimmerli, EVP/CFO/SEC/TREASURER
- $2,548,074: Charles Sorenson, Jr, MD, Truste/President/CEO (partial year)
- $2,440,849: Daniel L Zuhlke, SVP
- $2,256,415: Laura S Kaiser, EVP, COO
- $1,589,594: Benjamin Fox, MD Neurosurgery
- $1,516,275: Gregory P Poulsen, SVP
- $1,386,655: Casey Bachison, MD, Surgery Orthopedic
- $1,381,802: David Goff, MD, Surgery Cardio
- $1,367,746: Eric Hooley, MD, Surgery Orthopedic
- $1,297,016: Marc Probst, VP/CIO
- $1,245,330: William Gowski, MD Orthopedics
- $1,242,993: Moody L Chisholm, VP
- $1,166,174: Linda C Leckman, MD, VP
- $1,125,834: Timothy T Pehrson, VP
- $1,051,960: Robert W Allen, VP
- $1,049,676: Steven R Smoot, VP
- $1,043,926: Terri L Kane, VP
- $ 973,998: Douglas J Hammer, VP, General Counsel
- $ 950,439: Mark R Briesacher, MD, SVP
- $ 899,498: Marc Harrison, MD, Trustee/President/CEO (partial year)
- $ 847,582: David L Flood, VP/Chief Development Officer
- $ 835,150: Gregory M Johnson, VP
- $ 819,926: Kimberly Henrichsen, VP
- $ 751,466: Mark A Runyon, VP
- $ 740,973: Jacque Millard, VP, Chief Investment Officer
- $ 577,151: Corey B Heller, VP
- $ 429,693: Todd Craghead, VP
- $ 305,359: Joseph F Walsh, VP
23 of the 28 (or 82%) of the most highly compensated employees are male while 5 of the 28 (or 18%) are female. 9 of the 10 most highly compensated employees are male while 1 is a female.
The IRS Form 990 reports the organization paid for first class or charter travel, travel for companions, tax indemnification and gross up payments, housing allowance or residence for personal use, and health and social club dues or initiation fees. See Schedule J, Part III, Supplemental Information of the Form 990 for more detailed information on these expenses (link is at the end of the post).
To read the IRS Form 990 (2016) for IHC Health Services, Inc., click here.
Update: Click on “Executive Compensation at Intermountain Healthcare (2017)” for an update.