Executive Compensation at the Robin Hood Foundation (2018)
The Robin Hood Foundation (RHF) – a 501 (c) (3) based in New York City – is an organization that primarily awards grants to organizations fighting poverty by providing food, shelter, and healthcare and by helping people lift themselves out of poverty. They do this primarily by awarding grants (in 2018, the organization collected $133 million in revenue and awarded $173 million in grants – $40 million more than the organization raised).
In 2018, RHF had 135 employees who were compensated $18 million, which equates to an average compensation of $136,000. However, only 54 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation. The 12 most highly compensated individuals were:
- $934,078: Wes Moore, CEO, Non-Voting Director
- $603,097: Derek Ferguson, Chief Operating Officer
- $549,088: Kristine Sudano, SVP, Chief Development Officer
- $470,749: Beth Zolkind, CFO and Asst Treasurer
- $463,106: Emary Aronson, Chief Program Officer
- $427,677: Susan Sack, Managing Director, Real Estate
- $467,277: Rose Bromka, Chief of Staff
- $374,552: Amy Houston, Managing Director, Managing Assist (thru 3/2018)
- $357,096: Susan Epstein, Managing Director, Jobs and Economic Security
- $355,815: Deborah McCoy, Managing Director, Early Childhood
- $330,966: Joanna Pressman, General Counsel, Asst Secretary
- $139,358: Laurence Jahns, SVP Advancement
Of the 12 most highly compensated employees in 2017, 8 were women (67%) and 4 were men (33%).
9 independent contractors received more than $100,000 for services. The five most highly compensated independent contractors were reported to be:
- $1,102,372: Nimblist, LLC of Lancaster, PA for production services
- $ 816,000: David Stark Production and Design, Inc. of Brooklyn, NY for production services
- $ 687,574: Hudson Yard Catering of New York, NY for catering services
- $ 677,848: 4 Wall Entertainment, Inc. of Moonachie, NJ for production services
- $ 653,960: Atomic Design, Inc. of Lititz, PA for production services
It is important to point out that the RHF is known for its director support. There are 41 voting directors, whom the organization reports pay for all the administrative and fundraising costs. In 2018, these costs totaled about $26 million which means that each of the 41 directors had to contribute $634,000 each to cover these costs (Note: the Form 990 only reports contributions in aggregate so specific donor donations are not listed). There are also 19 Emeritus Directors. If these directors also contributed to pay the overhead costs, then each of the 60 directors/emeritus directors had to contribute about $433,000 each. Again, the IRS Form 990 (2018) does not provide this level of detail so the contributions cannot be verified.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018), click here.