Executive Compensation at SSM Health (St Louis,MO)
SSM Health is a Catholic tax-exempt not-for-profit healthcare provider made up of dozens of organizations (non-profits, corporations, trusts, and partnerships) that provide services in four states (Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma) in 23 hospitals, about 300 physician offices, 10 post acute, comprehensive home and hospice services, a pharmacy benefit company, health insurer, and more.
SSM Health Care Corporation is overseen by 17 voting members of a governing party, 15 of whom are independent. 18 directors are listed on the Form 990 (due to timing differences). 8 directors are female while 10 are male.
The system as a whole is overseen by SSM Health Care Corporation, the parent who provides management and centralized support services to the hospitals and other organizations in the system. Consequently, most revenue comes from corporate fees, investment fees, and investment income.
in 2018, total revenue was $652 million. Expenses totaled $660 million, of which $203 million was used to compensate 2,901 employees, who received an average compensation of $70,000. 270 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 17 most highly compensated employees reported to be:
- $2,733,005: Laura Kaiser, Director, President/CEO
- $2,636,440: Christopher Howard, Pt Yr President – Hospital Operations
- $2,118,136: Kris Zimmer, Treasurer, CFO
- $1,855,406: Paula Friedman, SVP, Strategic Development
- $1,340,422: Shane Peng, Former Key Employee
- $1,275,477: Lynn Bruchhof, Pt Yr, SVP, Human Resources
- $ 985,305: Allison Mooney, System VP – Operations, Phys, and Ambulatory
- $ 867,713: Chris Sprowl, Regional Clinical Affairs Officer
- $ 751,628: Susan Goldberg, System VP, Total Comp and Emp Services
- $ 751,357: Karen Rewerts, System VP, Finance (MO/IL)
- $ 690,800: Doug Carter, System VP, Financial Operations
- $ 684,438: Matthew Hanley, Chief Clinical Officer
- $ 632,096: Margaret Fowler, System VP, Chief Nursing Officer
- $ 616,154: Steve Smoot, Chief Operations Officer
- $ 554,424: Michael Panicola, Former Key Employee
- $ 340,587: June Pickett, Secretary, AVP, Governance & Archives
- $ 145,560: Mark Adams, Former Key Employee
9 of the 17 (53%) most highly compensated employees are female while 8 of the 17 (47%) are male.
SSM Health Care Corporation made gross up payments and tax indemnification. See the Form 990, Schedule J, Part III, Supplemental Information for more detail.
For information on the supplemental non-qualified retirement plan and paid benefits, see the Form 990, Schedule J, Part III, Supplemental Information for more detail.
173 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation. The 5 most highly compensated were reported to be:
- $18,796,544: McKinsey & Co, of New York, NY for consulting services
- $ 5,067,080: Infinity Marketing Solutions, of Greenville, SC, for marketing services
- $ 3,929,939: NXCG, of Plano, TX for consulting services
- $ 3,296,016: Press Ganey Associates, of South Bend, IN for consulting services
- $ 2,842,197: Premier, Inc., of Chicago, IL, for supply chain management
SSM Health Care Corporation spent more than $25 million on consulting services from 3 of the vendors listed above.
To read the IRS Form 990, click here.