Executive Compensation at the Alzheimers Association (2019)
The Alzheimers Disease and Related Disorders is commonly referred to as the Alzheimers Association. A tax-exempt, non-profit 501 (c) 3 whose goal is to eliminate Alzheimers Disease through research but also offer support, information/public awareness, and education on the disease, raised $390 million in 2019, primarily from contributions, gifts, and grants ($366 million including $24 million from the government).
Expenses totaled $387 million (99% of revenue) with the largest expense being compensation ($182 million or 47% of revenue) for the 2,620 employees, who received an average compensation of $70,000. 249 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 8 most highly compensated employees reported to be:
- $1,014,248: Harry Johns, President and CEO
- $ 650,856: Richard Hovland, COO/CFO, and Asst Treasurer
- $ 649,617: Robert Egge, Chief Public Policy Officer ($20,238 from a related org)
- $ 631,176: Maria Carrillo, Chief Science Officer
- $ 502,421: Donna McCullough, Chief Development Officer ($2,104 from a related org)
- $ 437,349: Glenda Berry, West Area Leader
- $ 432,994: Kenann Cassidy, East Area Leader
- $ 294,045: Christine Foh, Asst Secretary and VP and Legal General Counsel
5 of the 8 most highly compensated employees are female while 3, including the most highly compensated employee, are male.
The Alzheimers Association paid for companion travel. Specifically, a board member with early onset Alzheimers Disease may require a companion on business travel for safety reason.
Tandem Solutions, affiliated with a former board member (Joseph McCafferty), was compensated $132,276 as an independent contractor.
To read about the Supplemental Non-Qualified Retirement Plan, see Schedule J, Part III, Supplemental Information on the Form 990.
204 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the five largest reported to be:
- $11,125,488: Hayworth Marketing Media, of Minneapolis, MN for advertising
- $10,848,418: World-Wide Printing Distribution, of Tulsa, OK for direct marketing
- $ 2,673,137: Personify, Inc., of Austin, TX for CRM database
- $ 2,580,168: Michigan Plaza, LLC, of Chicago, IL for office rent
- $ 2,472,818: Softchoice Corporation, of Chicago, IL for technology/equipment
To read the IRS Form 990 for the year ending June 30, 2019, click here.