Executive Compensation at CommonSpirit Health
Commonspirit Health (CH) was formed in 2019 when Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health (DH) merged to become one of the largest non-profit healthcare providers in the country with 137 hospitals and more than 1,000 healthcare sites in 21 states.
Based in Englewood, Colorado, CHI has more than 350 related organizations (tax-exempt and taxable partnerships, corporations, and trusts) that file separate Form 990’s. This post addresses the executive compensation at CH in Englewood, Colorado (To see employee compensation from affiliated or related organizations, the specific Form 990 of the entity must be viewed).
3,387 employees were compensated $348 million, or an average of compensation of $103000 in 2019. However, only 878 employees were compensated more than $100,000 with the 25 most highly compensated individuals listed below:
- $4,005,092: Kevin Lofton, CEO
- $2,589,438: Dean Swindle, Pres of Entprs Bus Lines, CFO/Treas (through 2/17/19)
- $2,444,927: Ketul Patel, SVP – Divisional Ops and CEO, CHI Franciscan Health
- $2,310,197: Larry Schumacher, SVP, Operations
- $2,257,728: Cliff Robertson, SVP – Divisional Operations, CEO – CHI Health
- $1,522,931: Frederick Meadors, Surgeon (most comp from a related org)
- $1,501,979: Douglas Lawson, SVP – Divisional Ops, CEO of CHI St Luke’s Health
- $1,432,162: Frank Bauer, Surgeon (most comp from a related org)
- $1,429,287: Jeffrey Drop, SVP, Division Executive Officer
- $1,409,859: Mitch Melfi, Chief Legal Officer, Secretary
- $1,406,494: Patricia Webb, Chief Administrative Officer
- $1,397,807: Robert Weil, SVP and Chief Medical Officer (through 6/30/19)
- $1,365,398: Paul Edgett, III, Chief Business Lines Officer
- $1,355,490: Michael Rowan, Former President of Health Care Delivery, COO
- $1,328,545: Ruth Williams Brinkley, Former SVP/MBO President and CEO
- $1,264,906: Kathleen Sanford, Chief Nursing Officer
- $1,262,579: Thomas Kofensteiner, Chief Mission Officer
- $1,113,351: Nicholas Barto, SVP, Capital Finance
- $ 839,504: Philip Foster, SVP, Enterprise Risk Mgmnt and Chief Risk Officer
- $ 801,829: Dennis Zerr, SVP, Info Tech Svcs/Co-Interim IT Leader (through 4/12/19)
- $ 688,267: Joyce Ross, SVP Marketing and Comm/Asst Sec (through 3/31/19)
- $ 640,766: Michael O’Rourke, Former SVP and CIO
- $ 602,400: Stephen Moore, Former SVP and CMO (comp from a related org)
- $ 569,206: John Dicola, Former EVP – Enterprise Strategic Development
- $ 565,164: Thomas Clifford Devany, Former SVP – Physician Svcs and Clin Integ
$36 million was paid to the 25 employees listed above. 21 of the 25 (84%) most highly compensated employees are male while 4 of the 25 (16%) are female. Of the 10 most highly compensated employees, all 10 are male.
The IRS Form 990 also reports CHI paid for first class or charter travel, travel for companions, and tax indemnification and gross up payments. To read more about these expenses, go to Schedule J, Part III, Supplemental Information (although no detail is provided as to the extent of these expenses).
137 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 5 most highly compensated reported to be:
- $586 million: Conifer Health Solutions, of Frisco, TX for revenue cycle services
- $ 87 million: Deloitte Consulting, of New York, NY for consulting services
- $ 74 million: Performance Interiors, of Pittsburgh, PA for food services
- $ 56 million: Cerner Corp, of Kansas City, MO for technology services
- $ 42 million: McKinsey and Co, of Denver, CO for management and consulting services
To read the IRS Form 990 (2018) for the year ending June 30, 2019.