Vegan Nachos Made Easy
Nachos are an American favorite but making vegan nachos may seem pointless for those on a plant-based diet because isn’t the point of nachos cheese? Well, not really. The deliciousness of nachos depends on several factors: good chips, refried beans, crispy chopped lettuce, sweet tomatoes, creamy ripe avocado, and for those following a plant-based diet, often a cheese substitute made from a nut milk.
There are numerous vegan cheese choices at supermarkets (i.e Daiya, Treeline, Miyoko’s) and specialty products including Christopher’s Kitchen (0f Palm Beach Gardens, Florida) Macadamia Cheddar – crunchy cracker like pieces made from macadamia nuts, carrot juice, and spices, that taste like cheddar. But, any cheese substitute will work.
Making nachos is easy (as long as the ingredients are on hand) with the most time consuming part (maybe 10 minutes) assembling the ingredients. The secret to great nachos lies with the ingredients. Choose the best ingredients available for deliciously addicting nachos.
Vegan Nachos (serves 3-4)
- 1 5.5 ounce bag of Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Chips
- 1 13.6 ounce boxed container (shelf stable) Pacific Organic Refried Pinto Beans
- 1/2 head of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 10-ounce bag of Villagio Marzano or pint of sweet grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Haas avocado, chopped
- 4 tablespoons Christopher’s Kitchen Macadamia Cheddar (optional)* or your favorite vegan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Distribute the multigrain chips on the parchment paper.
- Place the chips in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up the refried beans.
- Remove the chips from the oven and scoop the warmed refried beans on to the chips.
- Sprinkle the chopped lettuce over the chips and beans.
- Sprinkle the chopped tomatoes over the lettuce, beans, and chips.
- Sprinkle the chopped avocado over the tomatoes, lettuce, beans, and chips.
- Sprinkle the Macadamia Cheddar (or your favorite vegan cheese) over the whole mixture.
- Serve immediately.
*Macadamia Cheddar is available at Christopher’s Kitchen, 4783 PGA Boulevard, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida; www.Christopherskitchenfl.com