Chunky Broccoli Soup (Non-Dairy)
Traditional broccoli soup contains milk or cream but this creamy, delicious version replaces the dairy with unsweetened macadamia milk (“Milkadamia”) so you can enjoy all the richness without the dairy in a soup that looks like a chowder.
The base of the soup is made with low sodium vegetable broth and a 5 ounce packet of Frontier Soups Broccoli Cheddar Soup Mix, which contains brown rice, potatoes, broccoli, carrots, onion, curry, yellow pepper, and spices. Note: the mix contains the word cheddar because the directions suggest adding cheddar cheese but no cheese is needed. The non-dairy milk adds the richness and a fresh bowl of chopped steamed broccoli turns the soup into a thick delicious vegetable filled meal in minutes.
Chunky Broccoli Soup (serves 6-8)
- 5-ounce packet Frontier Soups Broccoli Cheddar Soup Mix*
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened Milkadamia milk (macadamia nut milk), or your favorite non-dairy milk
- 1 bunch of broccoli, stems and florets chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup of croutons (make homemade in a sauté pan using whole grain bread and a touch of olive oil)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Place the vegetable broth in a large pot. Add the soup mix and bring to a boil, Reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
While the soup is cooking, steam the broccoli, drain, and set aside.
Add the non-dairy milk and broccoli and bring to a boil. Turn the stove off and remove the pan from the heat.
Take 1/2 of the soup and place in a high-powered blender. Pulverize for about 20 seconds. Return the puree to the soup and stir to blend. Salt and pepper to taste.
*Available at grocery stores nationwide or at www.frontiersoups.com for about $7.