Executive Compensation at the ASPCA (2017)
The ASPCA is a 501 (c) (3) based on the Upper East Side (424 East 92nd Street) in New York City. With 1,193 employees who were compensated $85.6 million (an average compensation of $72,000) in 2017, the ASPCA is one of the largest “animal rights” organizations in the country. The ASPCA also paid $5.2 million (see below) to Forum Services Group (a staffing and recruiting firm) of New York for staffing and consulting services.
Widely supported, the ASPCA reported the receipt of $248 million in 2017, most of which were contributions. After spending $221 million – primarily on staff compensation (nearly $86 million), office-related expenses ($40 million), vet and medical services ($13 million), grants ($12 million), and travel/conferences ($8 million), the ASPCA added $27 million to their fund assets which had a net balance (think savings account) of $274 million at year-end.
146 individuals received more than $100,000 in compensation including the 13 most highly compensated individuals listed below:
- $852,231: Mathew Bershadker, President and CEO*
- $385,269: Todd Hendricks, SVP Development
- $371,196: Elizabeth Estroff, SVP Communications
- $359,002: Sarah Levin Goodstine, SVP Operations and Strategy
- $331,250: Julie Morris, SVP Community Outreach
- $305,105: Bert Troughton, SVP Animal Health Service/Shelter
- $304,547: Stephen J Musso, EVP Capital Projects and Facilities
- $300,638: J’Mai Gayle, Director Surgery
- $297,550: Stacy Wolfe, SVP Anti-Cruelty Group/Policy
- $283,762: Beverly Jones, SVP Chief Legal Officer
- $274,197: Nancy Perry, SVP Government Relations
- $269,074: Randall Lockwood, SVP Forensic Science and Anti-Cruelty
- $261,567: Gail Buchwald, SVP Adoptions and NYC No-Kill
*The 990 states the “total compensation of the President of the ASPCA includes merit adjustments and performance bonus paid in calendar year 2017, but apply to performance from 2015-2017 due to change in review dates. Previous 990’s (2015 and 2016) report Mr. Berdshaker received $$542,411 (which included a $100,000 bonus) in 2015 and $463,651 in 2016. Over the 3-year period, Mr. Berdshaker was compensated $1,858,293, which equates to an average of $619,431 annually.
The 13 most highly compensated individuals include 8 females (62%) and 5 males (38%).
147 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the five most highly compensated listed below:
- $19,781,716: Eagle-Com, Inc. of Toronto, Ontario for media broadcast
- $ 8,592,808: True North, Inc. of New York, NY for media broadcast
- $ 6,313,441: James R Vannoy & Sons Construction, Inc. of Asheville, NC for construction**
- $ 5,213,627: Forum Services Group, Inc. of New York, NY for staffing and consulting services
- $ 4,744,646: Dialogue Direct of New York, NY for professional fundraising services
**The ASPCA built a Behavioral Rehabilitation Center in Weaverville, NC (just outside of Asheville) for up to 65 fearful, unadoptable homeless dogs.
To read and review the IRS Form 990 (2017), click here.