Executive Compensation at the ASPCA (2017)
The ASPCA is a 501 (c) (3) based on the Upper East Side (424 East 92nd Street) in New York City. With 1,193 employees who were compensated $85.6 million (an average compensation of $72,000) in 2017, the ASPCA is one of the largest “animal rights” organizations in the country. The ASPCA also paid $5.2 million (see below) to Forum Services Group (a staffing and recruiting firm) of New York for staffing and consulting services.
Widely supported, the ASPCA reported the receipt of $248 million in 2017, most of which were contributions. After spending $221 million – primarily on staff compensation (nearly $86 million), office-related expenses ($40 million), vet and medical services ($13 million), grants ($12 million), and travel/conferences ($8 million), the ASPCA added $27 million to their fund assets which had a net balance (think savings account) of $274 million at year-end.
146 individuals received more than $100,000 in compensation including the 13 most highly compensated individuals listed below:
- $852,231: Mathew Bershadker, President and CEO*
- $385,269: Todd Hendricks, SVP Development
- $371,196: Elizabeth Estroff, SVP Communications
- $359,002: Sarah Levin Goodstine, SVP Operations and Strategy
- $331,250: Julie Morris, SVP Community Outreach
- $305,105: Bert Troughton, SVP Animal Health Service/Shelter
- $304,547: Stephen J Musso, EVP Capital Projects and Facilities
- $300,638: J’Mai Gayle, Director Surgery
- $297,550: Stacy Wolfe, SVP Anti-Cruelty Group/Policy
- $283,762: Beverly Jones, SVP Chief Legal Officer
- $274,197: Nancy Perry, SVP Government Relations
- $269,074: Randall Lockwood, SVP Forensic Science and Anti-Cruelty
- $261,567: Gail Buchwald, SVP Adoptions and NYC No-Kill
*The 990 states the “total compensation of the President of the ASPCA includes merit adjustments and performance bonus paid in calendar year 2017, but apply to performance from 2015-2017 due to change in review dates. Previous 990’s (2015 and 2016) report Mr. Berdshaker received $542,411 (which included a $100,000 bonus) in 2015 and $463,651 in 2016. Over the 3-year period, Mr. Berdshaker was compensated $1,858,293, which equates to an average of $619,431 annually.
The 13 most highly compensated individuals include 8 females (62%) and 5 males (38%).
147 independent contractors received more than $100,000 in compensation with the five most highly compensated listed below:
- $19,781,716: Eagle-Com, Inc. of Toronto, Ontario for media broadcast
- $ 8,592,808: True North, Inc. of New York, NY for media broadcast
- $ 6,313,441: James R Vannoy & Sons Construction, Inc. of Asheville, NC for construction**
- $ 5,213,627: Forum Services Group, Inc. of New York, NY for staffing and consulting services
- $ 4,744,646: Dialogue Direct of New York, NY for professional fundraising services
**The ASPCA built a Behavioral Rehabilitation Center in Weaverville, NC (just outside of Asheville) for up to 65 fearful, unadoptable homeless dogs.
To read and review the IRS Form 990 (2017), click here.
Click on “Executive Compensation at the ASPCA (2019)” for updated information.