Executive Compensation at Geisinger System Services
Geisinger System Services is a 501 (c) (3) that provides administrative management and other support services for the Geisinger health care system (which consists of dozens of non-profits that serve more than 3 million residents in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. With more than 32,000 employees in 13 hospital campuses, 2 research clinics, and other health provider services, the Geisinger health care system is on of the largest healthcare providers in the Pennsylvania/South Jersey area.
The focus of this post is on the executive compensation at Geisinger System Services (GSS) only. For the year ending June 30, 2017, GSS reported employing 5,420 individuals who received $329 million in compensation which equates to an average compensation of approximately $61,000. 343 employees received more than $100,000 in compensation with the 29 most highly compensated employees listed below:
- $4,076,526: David P Tilton, FACHE EVP, Chief Integ ($3,736,413 came from a related organization)
- $3,596,914: David T Feinberg, President, Chair, Director
- $1,811,684: Dominic Moffa, MDA Fache, EVP Strgc Program Dev ($1,341,577 came from a related org)
- $1,809,239: Frank J Trembulak, SVP, Treasurer
- $1,532,638: Kevin F Brennan, FHFMA EVP, CFO, Treasurer
- $1,468,008: Edelyn L Miller, Director
- $1,414,232: David H Ledbetter, FACMG EVP, Chief Science Officer
- $1,209,645: Steven R Youso, Former Key Employee (paid from a related org)
- $ 985,966: David J Felicio, EVP, CLO, Secretary
- $ 960,645: Amy B Brayford, Chief HR Officer
- $ 856,731: Susan M Robel, EVP CNO
- $ 735,713: Francis M Richards, CIO, Emeritus
- $ 641,864: John M Kravitz, CIO
- $ 613,318: Janet F Tomcavage, Former Employee (paid from a related org)
- $ 567,406: Barbara M Tapscott, VP Revenue Management
- $ 527,387: Robert W Davies, Chief Support Svcs
- $ 504,326: Joseph E Haddock, Former Employee (paid from a related org)
- $ 494,939: Joanne E Wade, EVP Strategic Prog Develop
- $ 486,625: Jacqueline Paul, SVP Business Development
- $ 495,680: Debra Petretich-Templeton, RPH MH Chief, Support Services
- $ 491,610: Timothy D Fitzgerald, FHFMA VP, Treasury
- $ 455,222: Dolph Courchaine, ACIO, VP, IT GIO
- $ 450,450: Thomas A Bielecki, VP Finance, GNE
- $ 425,955: Earl P Steinberg, Former Key Employee (paid from a related org)
- $ 406,487: Daniel E Lohr, ACLO Asst Secretary
- $ 400,742: Jaewon Ryu, Director (compensation came from a related org)
- $ 381,113: Kevin J Kerestus, CIA, VP, IA, IASO
- $ 197,700: James C Armstrong, FHFMA CGMC System VP, Finance
- $ 123,138: Edward J Zych, Former Officer
21 of the 29 (72%) most highly compensated employees are male while 8 of the 29 (28%) are female. Of the 10 most highly compensated employees, 8 are male while 2 are female.
The Form 990 also reports GSS paid for first class travel, companion travel, and gave tax indemnification and gross up payments. To read the detail on these expenses, go to Schedule J, Part III, Supplemental Information of the Form 990. It is also important to note GSS provided a $150,000 loan to David T Feinberg (whose total compensation was nearly $3.6 million, listed above) for “recruitment.” The balance is $88,399. A $40,000 loan was made to Dolph Courchaine (whose total compensation was $455,222) for “recruitment.” The balance is $5.202.
Sordoni Construction was paid $14 million for construction projects. William E Sordoni is a GSS director and shareholder, President and CEO of Sordoni Construction.
To read the IRS Form 990 (2016) for the year ending June 30, 2017, click here.